New Member - A Linux Kernel for a new distro

Discussion in 'Linux' started by paulorocha, Jan 18, 2010.

1. paulorocha

paulorocha

Hello Everyone!

My name is Paulo Rocha and a live in Brasília - Brazil. First of all, my primary language is portuguese. I read english very well but write is a bit difficult for me. So, please forgive any errors in my text... :roll:

I bought a AAO 2 weeks ago (10" screen, 160 GB HD, 1 GB RAM - upgraded to 2 GB). Comes with XP, but I shrink the windows partition and install Mandriva 2010.0 in dual boot. Also reserve space for a new linux distro I'm planning built, based in the LFS Project (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs).

I'm a linux user since 1995, but despite this long time, I’m not a Linux guru. Perhaps a advanced user...

Well... In order to build my new distro, I will compile and install a Linux kernel. I’d like this was very tiny and reflects absolutely the hardware present in the AAO, and nothing more.

Anyone have hints or tips? Especialy in adjusting the .config file.

A big hug from Brazil!

paulorocha, Jan 18, 2010
  2. paulorocha

subsonic

subsonic, Jan 18, 2010
  3. paulorocha

paulorocha

WOW! What a wonderful link, my friend!

I just started read, but seems to be exactly I need.

Thanks a lot!

paulorocha, Jan 18, 2010
  4. paulorocha

Joeb

There are several aao specific kernels out there. Kuki linux has one on their site (www.kuki.me). You could install their kernel and then copy the configuration file from /boot to where you will be compiling your own kernel and tweak it from there.

Joeb, Jan 18, 2010
  5. paulorocha

paulorocha

Thanks for the tip Joeb, but I've started the kernel configuration using the tool available on the site indicated by subsonic.

Already compiled a first version, but still fine-tunning some options.

Once I have news I post here.

Thank you very much

paulorocha, Jan 19, 2010
  6. paulorocha

paulorocha

Good news! System is up and running.

I needed to refine the .config file by hand, including some options not sellected by the autoconfigure tool. Boot time is 11.4 seconds and kernel image (compressed) is 1.5 MB.

Next step is compile and install a package manager (I'm thinking in debian dpkg) and install another softwares I need.

For now, thanks for your support.

paulorocha, Jan 19, 2010
  7. paulorocha

subsonic

I would be interested in seeing your config and what it includes. What kernel are you running?

subsonic, Jan 19, 2010
  8. paulorocha

paulorocha

paulorocha, Jan 19, 2010
  9. paulorocha

SlCKB0Y

Why such an old kernel?

I can tell you right now you are missing out on heaps of AA1 specific stuff which worked in way into recent kernels.

SlCKB0Y, Jan 25, 2010
  10. paulorocha

paulorocha

Hello Sickboy

I use the 2.6.22.5 because the 6.3 version of LFS is based on this kernel. But I are already configuring the 2.6.32.6 (the latest avaiable in kernel.org). The first attempt was failed. I'm verifying what is wrong.

I just read your website and I see you configured a linux kernel for the AAO. Can you send me your .config file?

Thanks a lot!

paulorocha, Jan 26, 2010
  11. paulorocha

Joeb

I looked at your config file and it is pretty lean. It may work well for a straight out of the box aspire one, however, you indicate that you are building it for a distro. With that in mind, you probably want to add stuff so various usb devices work (users have all kinds of stuff they plug in). I know that Kuki Linux is booting in under 10 seconds with an SSD (HD is around 15). They have however added in a lot more stuff to there kernel because of user needs. That is why I suggested you look at their config. Kuki is not on the latest kernel, but their config will at least tell you what additional modules they included.

If I misunderstood and you are just building a kernel for your own use, then your config should be fine.

Joeb

Joeb, Jan 26, 2010
  12. paulorocha

paulorocha

Well .. My initial intention is to deepen my knowledge of the workings of Linux and build a system for my own use. If this work can be useful to other users I'll be very happy.

I will study this Kuki Linux distribution that you indicated. Maybe it can help me a lot in my work.

Thank you for your support!

paulorocha, Jan 26, 2010
  13. paulorocha

Xinês

Hi Paulo Rocha.

Any developments?

Xinês, Feb 2, 2010
  14. paulorocha

paulorocha

No. I've been very busy these last few days and I have not had time to work on my LFS project. I hope to return to it soon. However I did some experiments with the system Kuki and I found it interesting ... Some good ideas that maybe I can use in my project.

paulorocha, Feb 3, 2010
Ask a Question