New laptop so slow! How can I make it faster?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by clair02, Sep 15, 2016.

1. clair02

clair02

I bought a new HP laptop that came with Windows 10. I thought it would be faster than my previous one, but it's even slower. I got rid of all the *rapware that came with it, but it's still slow. I'm not very tech-savvy and I don't know what else to do. Please help.

clair02, Sep 15, 2016
  2. clair02

AntonioCalcano

Try to defrag your HDD, optimize the registry, uninstall every other program you don't use and if all fails then I think you need to return it because if you format it you'll lose your warranty.

AntonioCalcano, Sep 24, 2016
  3. clair02

clair02

I really appreciate your suggestions and advice, but is it possible that you could explain it like you're explaining to a five year old? Or if possible, please point me to some training resources that can show me how to do it step-by-step? Thanks again.

clair02, Sep 24, 2016
  4. clair02

something back

Clair02 I have answered some of your question before in this forums link

http://www.laptop-forums.com/threads/how-to-partition-my-hard-drive.26570/

something back, Sep 24, 2016
  5. clair02

Corzhens

My guess is the installation of the OS. Windows 10 will drag down the speed of your computer if you have installed every options. Maybe you have to re-install the OS with the basic options only so you can test the speed of your new laptop. My laptop is also an HP and although it is running on Windows 7, some of my colleagues have Windows 10 already. And from what I gathered, you can install a very basic OS that would be faster.

PS. Pardon me but a new laptop means the storage is also new so there's no need to defrag. My opinion only.

Corzhens, Sep 25, 2016
  6. clair02

fcuco

Try to disable stuff that you don't use, like Cortana, I used Cortana for like, 2 days before realizing how useless it is so I disabled that, I also removed all the widgets and gizmos from the start menu as I don't need to see the news each and every time I click start to access a program. Disable all the graphical bells and whistles like shadows and animations too but whatever you do, don't fall for the trap of downloading and installing those software that claim to optimize your pc, more often than not those are pure spyware.

fcuco, Sep 26, 2016
  7. clair02

remnant

I would suggest that you go to the settings and adjust them according to your preferences for a start. Check your internet speed whether its 3G or otherwise. If this is not the Achilles heel, head to the hard drive and check whether its a solid state type. If not, you can request for modding.

remnant, Sep 28, 2016
  8. clair02

Elektron

Uninstalling stuff in a new PC to make it faster is not the most appropriate solution neither something you should take into accoung for solving this kind of issue, all you have to do is go to where you bought that PC and ask for a refund or another one since it's a new PC and you have no reasons todo what you're doing with it.

Elektron, Sep 28, 2016
  9. clair02

Aree Wongwanlee

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 28, 2016
  10. clair02

Elektron

I installed that software months ago and now I have a problem with the firewall, every single time I execute any program the firewall comes up asking for permision, it's really annoying.

Elektron, Oct 2, 2016
  11. clair02

Aree Wongwanlee

That's a safety feature to make sure that you are not inadvertently installing something which may harm your computer. Of course, you can turn that off. However, if you turn it off, something may be installed in your computer without your knowledge. It's a trade-off. A bit of nagging for a bit more security.

Aree Wongwanlee, Oct 5, 2016
  12. clair02

Vash

If the hardware is indeed superior in the new laptop, it should be faster. If it is in fact slower, try to reinstall the operating system. It usually fixes most problems. In some cases, the computer can be slowed when the hard drive is too full. So make sure your hard disk has minimal 20% free space or the performance will suffer.

In rare cases, some faulty memory or failing hard drives can also cause the slowness in a computer.

Vash, Oct 5, 2016
  13. clair02

Fuzyon

It depends on the laptop, all these programs that supposedly make your PC run faster will not make too big of a difference. If your PC doesn't have the best hardware then you're better off installing a new OS, Windows 10 is quite resource hungry so maybe that's the reason it moves so slow. Have you ever thought about running Linux? It's really lightweight.

Fuzyon, Oct 5, 2016
  14. clair02

Elektron

There's no way I can turn off my firewall, that's just out of anybody's mind, it really is important on the PC and therefore, turning it off would be dangerous, however, I'll see what else I can do.

Elektron, Oct 5, 2016
  15. clair02

Aree Wongwanlee

If you are prepared to live with it, that's fine. I don't suppose this kind of thing crops up every few minutes, does it? I mean, you don't really install something new every few minutes, right?

Aree Wongwanlee, Oct 6, 2016
  16. clair02

hades_leae

There are some test that you can run on the pc to see why it is slower than most, like the bench mark test on cell phones can be an example. I have had my HP for almost 3 years now and it doesn't have issues like slowness. I will say it sometimes start up really slow.

hades_leae, Oct 6, 2016
  17. clair02

Elektron

Of coruse tehre's no way, however, it all depends on what you work on, I used to download new stuff almost every single day back in the days when gaming was a thing for me, it's not anymore so it's not the same.

Elektron, Oct 9, 2016
  18. clair02

Finn Dorsch

I think you should return it because your warranty period is not over yet. You can contact Finn Dorsc, ph no.02 8262 9900. He repaired my laptop and since then I have no issues with my laptop.

Finn Dorsch, Nov 16, 2016
  19. clair02

Jenny jonson

If you can return this laptop return this and take your money back otherwise you can visit any store for help.

Jenny jonson, Nov 28, 2016
Ask a Question