New Laptop Advice

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by m1sterlc, Jun 19, 2014.

1. m1sterlc

m1sterlc

Hello,

i'm looking at buying a laptop and offing my PC. My PC is about 6 years old and has been through the rigours of life. I believe that the motherboard is actually slowly dying out. I used to game alot but now, not so much, and the games i do play, are not overly graphics intensive. To cut a long story short. i'm looking at this laptop:

Acer Aspire V5-573 4th Gen Core i7 4GB 1TB Windows 8.1 Laptop in Silver - Acer Direct

i will ontop of this be buying and adding a solid state drive, as i've added one to my current pc about one or two years ago and i just can't see i'll ever go back to a normal hard drive.

my current PC spec is:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
    Memory: 4GB DDR2
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX

what i want to know is, for the price (i think we're looking at £600 here including the solid state drive) will the laptop be worthwhile. To let you in on what i'm trying to look at, this is the following criteria i'd like to meet.

1) the only game i play on really is Football Manager. i would like this to run well on my PC, really well if possible. it currently is quite slow on my PC and has crashed a few times (however i think that was because of game bugs to the latest version rather than my PC). if i do play any other games, they'll be older games.

2) potentially be able to watch movies and listen to music while doing so.

The sound quality is pretty good as i've already heard that. its the smoothness of play and speed of operation that i'm mainly looking at, as currently my PC will not allow both to run at the same time particularly well, but that could possibly be down to the dodgy motherboard i have.

any help would be muchly appreciated,

Thanks in advance

m1sterlc, Jun 19, 2014
  2. m1sterlc

something back

something back, Jun 21, 2014
  3. m1sterlc

Rohan99

At that price you can get plenty of decent laptops which meet your specifications. You can even get a gaming laptop which costs in the region of $1000 USD which is about the same as 600 pounds. I would suggest you get a laptop with either Nvidia or AMD graphics because they are much better than Intel graphics and will be able to handle the games you play very well, as well as play your multimedia files smoothly. Check out this link for a comparison of some great laptops that are in your budget range: http://www.cnet.com/news/laptops-we-love-under-1000/

Rohan99, Jun 29, 2014
  4. m1sterlc

skynel_27

Always look for the affordable but quality ones.

skynel_27, Jul 21, 2014
  5. m1sterlc

Karen Gordon

It sounds like you have gotten some pretty good advice here. I think that as long as you read reviews of the various pc's for gaming online, and discuss your choices with those who know something like the people in this forum you should be OK. It is just one of the ways to get the laptop you need to utilize.

Karen Gordon, Oct 2, 2016
  6. m1sterlc

Aree Wongwanlee

For that amount of money, you should be able to get a laptop with an i5 processor and 8Gb of RAM. You should be able to get an nVidia graphics chip as well. As for the SSD, I am not so sure. What I do know is that, from my window shopping a couple of months back, you can get an SSD with an i7 processor but that would cost another 200GBP more.

Aree Wongwanlee, Oct 2, 2016
  7. m1sterlc

Vash

If you are going to replace your old laptop, why still get only 4GB RAM? It just won't cut it any more unless you always stick with really light tasks.

Yes, for the amount of money you are willing to spend, you can get something much better. Since you are not a heavy gamer, you do not really need a high end graphics card. To tell you my first hand experience, the onboard graphics card came with my Surface Pro 4 actually handled Battlefield 4 fairly well. Just to show you how well the latest techs are. It used to be "all onboard graphics suck". Not any more, unless you want to put on the highest settings on the latest hardware demanding games.

i7 is not really a must. It offers smaller difference than you think if you go with a Core i5 instead. Core i5 will produce less heat and use less power which will make the battery last longer. A SSD is useful. Once you have tried it you will not go back to the traditional spinning HDD.

Anyway, you can get a Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and onboard graphics card with less money you are willing to spend. :)
    As for the sound solutions, the money you save from the computer can be spent on a set of headphones or much better sound quality.

Vash, Oct 9, 2016
Ask a Question