New Facebook notification feature

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by sparkster, Jun 13, 2016.

1. sparkster

sparkster

Anyone else noticed this new feature which has been introduced on Facebook? It's basically a new notification feature which allows you to notify any of your friends of a specific status or post that you make. After you've posted it, there is now an option at the bottom which says "notify friends of this post" or something to that effect. By clicking on this button, you are then given the option to notify up to ten of your friends of that specific post in order to bring their attention to it. Thoughts?

sparkster, Jun 13, 2016
  2. sparkster

fcuco

I would hate to receive such a notification, I don't see the point. If somebody has anything to say to me I would be much simpler to message me directly. If it is something important you are probably better of sending a message, if it is not that important, then why bother to notify me? Perhaps I am avoiding all contact on purpose and perhaps the message if something that I wanted to ignore but this notification thing forces you to acknowledge it and act upon it. I guess the real market purpose of this is to force you to log in into facebook and process that message, they are always looking for ways to make you log in and stay there because people no longer spend their whole life there.

fcuco, Jun 13, 2016
  3. sparkster

vinaya

Really, I check facebook couple of times a day but I have not noticed this feature yet. However, I would never try this feature because I will hate to receive similar kind of notification. I don't like people cluttering my facebook or bothering with notification.

vinaya, Jun 15, 2016
  4. sparkster

UpgradeMe

I think this is hilarious :) "I want to bug YOU, in PARTICULAR, about the fact I made this post." I suppose I see why they did it, but the reality is its just another feature in a sea of weirdness that will eventually get used by people only for them to realize its annoying lol

UpgradeMe, Jun 15, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. sparkster

sparkster

I can understand why people would find this quite annoying but I do think it could be useful in certain circumstances. It's kind of an obsolete option though. I mean, I understand that if you post a status, say a link to an article, that you might want to post it publicly so all your friends can see it but you may also want to bring a specific person's attention to it so that they don't miss the post, but people tend to do that anyway by just tagging the people that they want to see it and it then shows up on their profile (if they haven't changed their settings) and they get a notification anyway. Of course, when you make a post you can tag as many people as you want in it and are not confined to just ten people, so the whole new option is kind of pointless in having in the beginning!

sparkster, Jun 15, 2016
  6. sparkster

Sefie

More invasive than ever... I'm so glad I stopped using Facebook a long time ago. This kind of tools are perfect for the attention seeking people though, kinda sad if i think about it. Facebook can be such a dangerous place in so many different ways, glad I opted out :D

Sefie, Jun 15, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  7. sparkster

IcyBC

I won't use that as it would annoy the heck out of my friends, and I don't want them to do that to me either :) My feed is usually long enough already, and after a while, I unfollowed those that haven't interacted with me for a long time. I figure, if they don't bother with my stuffs, why should I bother with what they share, :)

IcyBC, Jun 15, 2016
  8. sparkster

Krissttina Isobe

I haven't noticed it on my facebook pages yet. I'll keep a look out for it. I just usually post it on my page and read what others have posted that I've friend etc. I like facebook a lot a good way to communicate. Thanks for the info!

Krissttina Isobe, Jun 16, 2016
  9. sparkster

Novelangel

I saw the notification when it first came out and ignored it. It hasn't shown up on my page since. My husband, on the other hand, found himself in a quandary one day because it was virtually impossible to continue with Facebook without signing up for the notifications. The thing was so persistent with him that it simply would not go away and he could do nothing else until he finally signed up. Now we get notices right to our desktop about stupid stuff that people have shared in his Facebook news feed. I would like him to delete his membership in this program, but I'm not sure he knows how.

Novelangel, Jun 28, 2016
  10. sparkster

IBMPC8088

I try to ignore most things from facebook. Especially something like that. The few times I was on facebook recently I started seeing "this and that" are now "live". At first I was thinking I might be mistaken that people were willing to give up their freedom further by actually broadcasting themselves as video from their personal profile, but behold, they were. I just shook my head, found the setting that turns that off, and then logged out of facebook. Haven't been on since, and that was about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

IBMPC8088, Jun 28, 2016
    spence88 and Novelangel like this.
  11. sparkster

Novelangel

I don't spend much time in there these days either. It's just not worth spending my time in there when I have other stuff that needs to get done. I can't imagine people actually wanting to broadcast live either, unless of course, they were getting paid for it like they do on YouTube or something like that. But even YouTubers tend to only show a little bit of their lives, only what they want the world to see. People tend to think of Facebook as their 'living room', so they start sharing and don't stop until the whole world knows their every move. That's pretty scary in my book.

Novelangel, Jun 28, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and spence88 like this.
  12. sparkster

spence88

Didn't actually know that a feature like that existed in Facebook. I guess it's a no for me. It seems intrusive. Fcuco raised some really good points.

Before I discovered Twitter, I post a lot on Facebook. Now, not so much. I haven't changed my display and cover photos for about 10 months now. But I do visit it still quite frequently.

spence88, Jun 28, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  13. sparkster

obliviousme

That's basically the same feature in twitter where if your followers opt to turn on the notification for you, then every time you tweet, they will get notifications straight to their phones. I think that's good news for some, others may not like it. I haven't log on to my facebook for so long, i may have to check this feature.

obliviousme, Jul 4, 2016
Ask a Question