New D250-1924 Hard Drive Sounds...

Discussion in 'Storage' started by justskipee, Sep 30, 2009.

1. justskipee

justskipee

Just received my new D250-1924 acer aspire one from tigerdirect.com. Right after first booting it, I noticed a quiet intermittent sound coming from around where the hard drive is located. It is about every second, sometimes off beat, sounds like a soft thud, like if you would flick your finger onto solid wood (hard drive writing arm?). There are also sounds like when you start an old portable CD player, like a disc friction sound....

I am sitting hear in a somewhat quite room and can hear it pretty well.

Is this normal? If not, should I send it back and get a new one? Please help.

Thanks for your help,
    Justin

justskipee, Sep 30, 2009
  2. justskipee

hanso

My D250 is very quiet, some of my other PC's also make this kind of noise. Perhaps Acer used anotehr brand disks which are more loud. It is the OS doing some house keeping etc.

Do a scan of your hard disk (I assume Windows, so in explorer click on the C: drive, choose for the tab Tools, choose both options (Fix, scan) and let it run. May require a reboot. If nothing is reported, no reason to return the machine.

Hans

hanso, Sep 30, 2009
  3. justskipee

justskipee

Thanks for the input. I tried what you said and it didn't have any errors. I also found some seagate software that analyzes the hard drive and that also was normal. But my brother found some reviews of the seagate hardrive that are in the d250, and other people have had issues with them failing soon after they heard similar sounds.

So I decided to just send it back and get a new one. Hopefully it'll be as quiet as yours.

Thanks again.

justskipee, Oct 1, 2009
Ask a Question