New BIOS 3309

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by macles, Dec 14, 2008.

1. macles

macles

2. macles

rtiangha

Updated from 3308 and seems to work.

However, I noticed that in Windows XP, it says that my XD bit isn't set. I was reading through the 3308 forum pages and noticed that someone over there had the same thing happen happen to them in Vista.

I'm fairly certain that the Atoms support DEP and I'm not sure how long this has been happening for since I only noticed it now. Is there any way to fix this or is this a BIOS bug?

rtiangha, Dec 14, 2008
  3. macles

bennyzhou

confirmed vista no xd bit

bennyzhou, Dec 15, 2008
  4. macles

FehHkk

Just flashed my AAO-150 from .3308 to .3309 ... no issues whatsoever

FehHkk, Dec 15, 2008
  5. macles

Jerm78

Thanks! Strangely, I couldn't get it to install from a flash drive. It said, "DOS/4GW Professional error (2001)". Winflash worked fine though.

Jerm78, Dec 15, 2008
  6. macles

judeh101

w00t!!!! SLIC for vista! thats what I've been looking for a long time ago!!! :D
    Can anyone check the SLIC table for me? anyone using everest to check it out before I upgrade to this bios?
    btw, the non-xd bit issue was me. I realized that.

judeh101, Dec 15, 2008
  7. macles

Nogib

YES!!!!!
    Thank you Acer for adding SLP 2.0 support for us!

Made a quick Home Premium disc with the Acer OEM file and product key. Updated the BIOS and have spent the past two hours installing and messing with Vista on my AA1. Went in like a champ and sure enough, looking at system setting, it is indeed activated. ^_^ Had never previously tried Vista on my Aspire One before this and was lamenting the fact that the obscure Insyde BIOS was unmoddable (unlike AMI and Award BIOS lol :D ). This has been a great gift from Acer. Definitely runs snappier than the XP Home that came with it.

[​IMG]

Nogib, Dec 15, 2008
  8. macles

highvista

What would be the best way to make a suggestion to Acer for a BIOS feature? I'd like to have the ability to choose to use the screen brightness table with the lower-range settings, regardless if it might lead to some screen flicker. This is the only real complaint I have with the AAO right now--it's just too bright at the lowest setting.

highvista, Dec 15, 2008
  9. macles

zabada

Can somebody post the link about to flashing BIOS right from Windows? What kind of soft we need to do it?

zabada, Dec 15, 2008
  10. macles

dman79

I'm tempted to update to this bios, i'm at 3304 and XP home and everest nor windows sees that the cpu supports hardware DEP anyway.. i can't figure out why.

dman79, Dec 15, 2008
  11. macles

winter_war

I was having issues with hibernate using 3307 & 3308, This new 3309 seems to have fixed that so far as I can tell.

winter_war, Dec 15, 2008
  12. macles

judeh101

I finally removed the emulation of slic, and it activated just fine for vista! w00t! I got some of my shades back, my LCD has flicker issue, but I got some shades back! it still flickers slightly, but better than being bright.

judeh101, Dec 16, 2008
  13. macles

rtiangha

Well (for me at least), 3309 has the same behaviour (no DEP) so you really wouldn't be missing out by upgrading. It would be nice if they'd fix this though.

rtiangha, Dec 16, 2008
  14. macles

judeh101

3309 re-enabled my DEP back! w00t! no wonder for some reason, it says Windows Explorer has just stopped working. DEP always cause that.

judeh101, Dec 16, 2008
  15. macles

dman79

Thanks for the info Judeh and rtiangha, I'm hoping they'll add the emulate cd rom for usb drives into the next bios updates like the other netbooks have.

dman79, Dec 16, 2008
  16. macles

zaperbaby

I just wanted to post that the BIOS updated my laptop
    and everything is running fine.

I was one of those unlucky people that the original BIOS corrupted on me after 2 months
    unfortunately I did not find the forums here with instructions on using recovery flash and sent out my Acer for repair they replaced the motherboard
    and flashed to 3305

I am so curious to know if my old motherboard was actually damaged or not
    or if the acer repair depot I sent it to just didn't know about the recovery flash routine.

who ever repaired my Acer aspire one definitely didn't know what they are doing as some of the screws under the battery were practically falling out.

I decided since it was so poorly put together after powering up and testing it for a short period of time to put my 1 GB crucial memory stick back in and many of the screws inside were just as loose and some of the screws were also partly stripped
    when reassembling a double checked all the screws to make sure they were tight everything is working great on my Acer now.

Also the fan is annoying as ever with its high-pitched whiny sound maybe when the warranty is up I'll have to get my tools out
    and mod my Acer aspire one with a larger less noisy fan as the fan in the Acer aspire one is tiny
    it also appears there is lots of room for a bigger fan that could run at lower RPM with much more airflow

In case anybody is interested I have the Acer aspire one 150 linux version with 120 gig hard drive and 512 MB memory
    I have added 1 GB of memory for a total of 1.5 gigs of memory and have installed windows XP service pack 3

now that I hear the new bios support a SLIC 2.0 table thinking of installing vista not sure how that works exactly
    I'll look for a tutorial on how to do it but if anybody has a good link to a tutorial it would be appreciated

My home laptop came with Windows vista and I can't say I was very impressed with it as for some reason from day one
    after typing my password the laptop would hang for 40 to 60 seconds making the laptop take over two minutes to boot up
    I even tried a factory recovery to no avail then after a few months one of the updates got stuck in a forever loop
    the computer would boot say installing updates 1 of 3 then finish updating and reboot and do the same over and over
    after that I installed windows XP on my laptop I keep at home and haven't had a problem since

Also did you know that Windows Vista is an acronym for Very Insanely Slow Totally Annoying
    I came up with that acronym and it totally fits. :mrgreen:

but I am interested in giving vista another try

zaperbaby, Dec 16, 2008
  17. macles

caulktel

Okay, I buckled under the pressure and updated from 3305 to 3309, everything is fine. Can't say as I see any difference but It sure was easy and I'm glad I am cutting edge now.

caulktel, Dec 16, 2008
  18. macles

dman79

Took the plunge into v3309 bios, and love it.... my external monitor isn't all wavy looking during dos boots or in the bios any more wich really bugged me, but my screen is still shift to the right alot.. cutting off part of the right side of the screen and a black bar on the left, but this is only in DOS programs or bios.. the rest is fine.... I can also lower the brightness on my 8.9 inch screen alot more and i notice no flicker at all woot!, but still no hardware DEP support detected by WinXP home wich the aspire one came with. wonder why the lastest bios is still 3304 on the official aspire one downloads page

dman79, Dec 16, 2008
  19. macles

Jerm78

Hm, since upgrading to 3309 I've had my keyboard twice stop working after going into standby (I think). The first time, I hit a key and came back from standby but then the keyboard stopped working. Second time I wasn't able to resume at all, presumably because the keyboard was already messed up. It may just be coincidence, but has anyone else had any problems like this since switching to 3309?

Jerm78, Dec 16, 2008
  20. macles

lohtse

offical download from aspire is now 3308...!!!!!Also I install 3309 soon as became available and have had no problems.. if Any think would say performance on my netbook is a little better.

Anyway whats slp.2????? I installed full version of vista ultimate with no problems so whats slp2 got to do with it???Am now puzzled as to why people are only thinking of installing vista now with slp2...

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 16, 2008
Ask a Question