New Asus Transformer Series - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by DangerSuit, Mar 1, 2016.

1. DangerSuit

DangerSuit

I bought the Asus Transformer Prime T100 about 4 years ago and came away very disappointed. I was hoping it could be a more portable alternative to my MacBook, but it was grossly underpowered and the word processing software it came with was dire. The one good thing about it was the battery life, which is still pretty impressive to this day.

I noticed recently that a new set of Asus Transformers has been released, with a proper OS and some more robust specifications. Does anyone have one of these new Transformers, and if so, is it worth buying?

DangerSuit, Mar 1, 2016
  2. DangerSuit

IBMPC8088

The Transformer series is my only disappointment with Asus. I usually advocate for their technology and hardware because it has been very good to me and others over the years, and they tend to do things right more often the past 10 years than most of the other corporations that seek to cut corners when they shouldn't...but unfortunately, the Asus Transformer series thus far is more like those corporations and their hardware releases than less.

For the most part, what they did was they adapted the earlier netbook technology which used to be superior to the other hardware on the market for netbooks, then scaled it down to match theirs (and cut production costs) while making it detatchable and touchscreen.

It's rare that I ever need a laptop with a touch screen let alone a netbook with a breakable and detatchable screen to it. If I wanted a tablet, I'd buy a tablet! If I wanted a netbook, I'd buy a netbook! If I wanted something underpowered, I'd buy a Dell or HP netbook! lol

Yeah, you're not going to get the performance out of these that you deserve to until or unless they get the memo and return to providing hardware that is more close to the level you had when they were briefly releasing some models that went toe-to-toe with laptops with the hope of being desktop/laptop replacements for some. Asus does release good stuff, usually even...but not this. You'll probably get better performance on the Samsung units than the Asus for the portables right now.

Samsung is to mobile what Asus is to laptops.

IBMPC8088, Mar 1, 2016
Ask a Question