New Acer Aspire One Fan Always On

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by zhchtw, Feb 3, 2009.

1. zhchtw

zhchtw

Hey,

I recently bought an Acer Aspire One in the US at Fry's (don't know if that matters or not) and I've noticed that my Acer Aspire One's fan seems to always be on. I've heard the 3304 and 3309 BIOS update fixes this problem and I checked my BIOS and it already is 3309. Should I try to "upgrade" the BIOS to 3309 again or downgrade it to 3304?

Also I have downloaded the AA1 Fan Control Utility and I'm wondering what temperatures you guys set it to turn on and when it turns off? What's a good temperature to set it to?

Thanks!

zhchtw, Feb 3, 2009
  2. zhchtw

scudder2u

Hi,
    I have had my AA1 since October and think that fan always on is normal behavior. So, thats why there are the fan utilities. I triple boot Linpus, XP, and now crunchbang and have installed the fan utilities in the later two. There is at least one thread that cautions against using the fan utilities since they only check the CPU temp and it is actually the northbridge that gets so warm so I am considering removing the fan utilities FWTW.

scudder2u, Feb 4, 2009
  3. zhchtw

heckufaguy

Yeah, I was using fan control in XP. But my fan runs silent, and I noticed the machine typically got warmer without the fan running (duh, right?). So now I run it as intended, since the fan is barely noticeable.

heckufaguy, Feb 4, 2009
Ask a Question