New AAO user - few qns bout some mods, some advice please :)

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by stylz, Jan 13, 2009.

1. stylz

stylz

Hey all,

Just purchased a new AAO150 - 1.6ghz, 1GB ram, 160GB HDD, etc.

Was looking along the lines of the following:

~ LCD Touch Screen (Easy and fun solderless kit)
    ~ 3G Modem
    ~ FM Transmitter
    ~ Installing more ram.
    ~ Windows VISTA

LCD TOUCH SCREEN-
    1) Does the T/S drain much battery life? (I've searched all the forums and keep getting mixed opinions, I realise it uses about 120mA, but am more interested in drain on 3 cell battery in hours + minutes etc.)
    2) I think I have to source power elsewhere on the motherboard for + - USB power, and the HUB is only used for data in and out. Is this correct?

3G MODEM-
    1) I was considering removing the WIFI card and swapping it with a 3G card as I would have more use for the 3G? Can this be done?
    2) If the above can be done, will the "WIFI ON/OFF switch" work on the 3G card aswell?
    3) I Was also considering installing a USB 3G Modem internally, but im not sure about the temp + reception (due to interference) + location + which brand/type, etc. I have read the install guide by "tnkgrl" but find it difficult to find the parts required.

FM TRANSMITTER-
    1) Has anyone done a successful mod to install a USB (or other) FM Transmitter? It would be very useful being able to tune the audio into a car radio etc.

RAM-
    1) Is there much improvement adding the extra 512mb? This is done by removing the 512mb stick and installing a 1gb to achieve 1.5gb RAM, correct?

WINDOWS VISTA-
    1) Does Windows VISTA increase battery time (due to better power management?)
    2) Can the AAO handle it? (slugish?)

Appreciate you looking.
    Thanks for your time

stylz, Jan 13, 2009
  2. stylz

xkiller

Hi,
    RAM -

After opening the whole netbook for RAM. I've see that there is only one slot of RAM (not two slot). In One Slot there is Samsung 512MB RAM. & in CPU-Z it says that there is 1024MB of RAM. So, whats that? does anyone have the answer?

But, after installing the RAM to 1.5GB (Hynix RAM), my games run fast.

Cheers,
    xkiller

xkiller, Jan 14, 2009
Ask a Question