networking xp with 7

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MaLfUnCtIoN, Jan 22, 2010.

1. MaLfUnCtIoN

MaLfUnCtIoN

so my netbook runs 7, the family pc runs xp. i have tons of music and movies on the family pc i want to access from my netbook. problem is, despite both being in the same workgroup, the netbook cannot see the family pc. however, the family pc can see my netbook.

my netbook says file and print sharing are enabled for music, movie, printers, and pictures. what do i have to do to get this working?

MaLfUnCtIoN, Jan 22, 2010
  2. MaLfUnCtIoN

the reverend

Windows XP I have found out doesn't like to let go of previuos network settings, so if the XP was ever on its default group of mshome that may be the problem, just changing the workgroup name will not do. you'll need to run the networking wizard.

Another problem I have seen is W7 will see an XP computer for a short time then will loose it, but the XP computer will still see the W7 computer, the XP computer has to be re-booted for W7 to see it again. This problem seems to only be fixed by upgrading the XP computer to W7 which I have done usind Family Pack Home Premium. Upgrading the XP to Vista might also fix this problem but I wouldn't recomend it.

Nick

the reverend, Mar 5, 2010
Ask a Question