Networking Center is Broken

Discussion in 'Networking' started by randvegeta, Aug 17, 2008.

1. randvegeta

ftapon

This worked for me! :)

I tried RooMonster's solution and it did not work for me.

I've had this problem twice. Each time it occurs after an Update. :(

The first time I struggled and finally gave up and did a complete reinstall. :(
    I vowed not to do a Update, but after 3 months of ignoring updates, I finally did one, figuring that Acer would have fixed things. Wrong. Yesterday it shut down my network connectivity again!
    However, my computer went asleep in the middle of the update, which might have to do with the corruption.

The solution above was simple and works so far! :)
    Thanks Leanhunt!!!!! :geek:

ftapon, Feb 1, 2009
  2. randvegeta

darklingone

Hi, I've been having the same problem since the last update which updated the networking centre. At first a simple reboot worked but now it never works. I have tried Leanhunt's solution to no avail. I have used both of Roomonster's solutions but when I try to move .gconf/system/networking it says it does not exist and if I try to run nm-applet I get the following:
    [user@localhost ~]$ nm-applet
    Successfully loaded 194 profiles.
    9844.0937: Bs: Basilisk v1.0.0.2 (MBCS library)
    Event 2 occured
    Event 3 occured
    Event 4 occured
    Event 5 occured
    Report event 2 in thread 0xb73b9b90
    Event 6 occured
    Event 1 occured
    Event 8 occured
    Event 9 occured
    Event 12 occured
    Event 10 occured
    Event 11 occured
    Event 13 occured
    HW radio switch state is set to -1
    Report event 4 in thread 0xb73b9b90
    Event 0 occured
    Device state: 0
    9844.0938: Bs: Library has been initialized
    9844.0938: Cg: Logging level has been set to 1
    ** (nm-applet:30958): WARNING **: No connections defined
    ** (nm-applet:30958): WARNING **: No networks found in the configuration database
    Segmentation fault

now I am very very much a linux newbie so can anyone suggest a way to get back to the old network centre settings in linux because as I say this only happened after I d/led an update for it or is a reinstall my only option?

Julian

darklingone, Feb 1, 2009
  3. randvegeta

ftapon

Julian: I would reinstall. Your system sounds thoroughly broken. The amount of time you'll waste trying to figure this out is probably more than the time for a fresh install.

FT

ftapon, Feb 1, 2009
  4. randvegeta

darklingone

Thanks for that :( . I was fearing that as I reread previous posts and finally remembered that during the update my machine went into standby which someone earlier hinted was the kiss of death. (a little off topic but...)Just a thought but if I have to reinstall, would Ubuntu be any better - I am not a great fan of the Linpus lite nanny style restrictions. I have tried it on a full size notebook but hear that there are some wireless driver issues with the AcerOne. (neatly getting back on topic ;) )

Julian

darklingone, Feb 1, 2009
  5. randvegeta

David62

Re: Networking Center is Broken - FIXED

it worked great first time

David62, Feb 4, 2009
  6. randvegeta

andymaxwell

Re: Networking Center is Broken - FIXED

Thank you thank you roomonster. It worked!

To other users, if you get the same problem and are not sure whats going on type in a terminal window
    dmesg | tail

Type this after reboot, when everything has settled down and before you open any programs (other than clicking on network center if you need to check its still broken)

If you see something which says Segmentation Fault Error 4 (it wont quite look like this but still) then give roomonsters solution a go.

THANKS
    :)

andymaxwell, Feb 15, 2009
  7. randvegeta

masonnj

Just to add to the general wierdness of this problem, here's my experience so far.

I lost my wireless after letting the battery go flat, actually letting the battery go flat is a bit missleading. I got a low battery warning and almost before I'd had time to read the notification the AA1 died!
    I tried the solution way back near the start of this thread and it worked for me at first. Then, I lost wireless and the network centre and nothing would get them back.

I was going to do a re-install so took the AA1 to the office where the external drive is and booted it up and the the bloody network connected!

Re-booted several times and it always worked, powered it right down and started it several times and it worked.

Now here's the wierd part. If I have the power adapter plugged in when I boot the network doesn't connect and network manager won't run. Unplug the power and so far it works every time!

Regards
    Nick

masonnj, Mar 1, 2009
  8. randvegeta

TheTilde

Hi
    I experienced sudden shutdowns too.
    maybe you can try my solution here:
    viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13699

TheTilde

TheTilde, Apr 28, 2009
  9. randvegeta

celuloco

Flashing the Bios seems to work. Linpus is not the problem, because as others have pointed out, the same happens with Windows XP. Now...if they could only fix the noise :)

celuloco, Aug 12, 2009
Ask a Question