Networking Center is Broken

Discussion in 'Networking' started by randvegeta, Aug 17, 2008.

1. randvegeta

Guest Guest

I can't believe it, the same thing has happened to me 5 days after purchase.

Searched on this forum and found this thread.
    I typed in the move command for the config files as suggested. It worked perfectly.

There is problem here with the system software though. Mine also happened when battery power ran out and the system shut down. On recharge and reboot, no network. It seems to be corrupting the files on shutdown.

I'm delighted with finding the solution on this board though. However I suspect many others will just return the aAo as faulty.

How do we notify acer or Linpus about the problem?

Guest, Aug 24, 2008
  2. randvegeta

YooY

Thanks Roomonster, you're the greatest monster I meet recently :D
    It works perfectly well that I translated it in French on a french aspire one user
    so, MERCI

YooY, Aug 24, 2008
  3. randvegeta

RooMonster

No problem, glad it has fixed it for you.

Regarding blackpears point about informing acer about the issues we've been having. I think that may be aware - I noticed they issued a patch for the network manager (I ran live update today) hopefully that will prevent it happening again.

RooMonster, Aug 24, 2008
  4. randvegeta

YooY

I don't see any update for the network manager, since I've updated my Acer 3 days ago, it could mean that the update is useless :( anyway your method is fast and simple, and I can live with it thanks to you

YooY, Aug 25, 2008
  5. randvegeta

YooY

by the way, the power-loss issue is partially due to the KPower save information which not very accurate... so I easily run out of power just because it forgets to warn me.... does anyone have a update or an alternative?

YooY, Aug 25, 2008
  6. randvegeta

BlueNoser

Hi folks,

7 day old machine. I deliberately yanked the battery pack out just for giggles. Lost the network connection functionality with the icon. (was trying to try a recovery USB ....failed incidentally)

I implemented the fix noted here.

Hat tip to RooMonster
    Thanks

BlueNoser, Aug 25, 2008
  7. randvegeta

rbil

Reading further in this thread, you'll see the solution to your problems. However, I'll take this opportunity to tell you how to run any program from a terminal in Linux and keep it running even after the terminal that launches it is closed down. The way it is done in Linux is to end the command with a &.

So for example to launch mousepad from a terminal and keep it running after the terminal is closed, you'd enter the command:

mousepad&

Cheers.

rbil, Aug 25, 2008
  8. randvegeta

RooMonster

I've also found out that you can ctrl-z and then type bg. This will also put the application to run in the background same as &

RooMonster, Aug 25, 2008
  9. randvegeta

Guest Guest

I also had this problem, from the crashing to a broken desktop (caused by a cleared out config file) to the broken wireless. Thanks for the fix. And to think that all this was caused by a hard shutdown from my mom needing to plug in the vacuum.

Guest, Aug 26, 2008
  10. randvegeta

monsieur goonie

Well mine doesn't wifi anymore damned,
    just reinstalled it 3 days ago.

your codes didn't help.

Network manager loads automatically but:
    -it doesn't show me any access point
    -if I try to run it mainly says:

"HW radio state is set to -1

No networks found in the configuration database

and

Queue wait failed with 0xffffffff (Last Error=0x6e

"

things is that it seems that the card works fine.

any idea???

anyone could provide me with the acer network manager package?? maybe deinstalling and reinstalling could do.

monsieur goonie, Aug 26, 2008
  11. randvegeta

linker3000

If you're having problems with NetworkManager you might want to try upgrading to the latest version from the developers - see this post: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1209&p=10732&hilit=networkmanager+tips#p10732

My AA1 is on tour with me round Ireland and it's been connecting and reconnecting to wifi points in hotels, cafes etc. without problems - only once when I rebooted was I prompted to re-enter a WPA key and I just clicked OK without changing what was already in the entry box.

Incidentally, the devs' version of NM is still streets ahead of the one in the recent Acer liveupdate.

linker3000, Aug 26, 2008
  12. randvegeta

dragonmyntz

so i had the same problem and then fixed it using the code earlier in the thread. then i ran live update to get the latest stuff. now the network center is gone! and the aforementioned codes do not work anymore. any ideas?

do i have to restore my comp? and will reinstalling with xubuntu ensure that this wont happen again?

thanks!

dragonmyntz, Aug 30, 2008
  13. randvegeta

PhilthyPhil

I did have the networking problem today after an update and was able to get it going again as root, but it would not auto start.

If I tried to start the "nm-applet" as user, I then got an error reading the file .optsdksettings in the /home/user directory. To fix this I did a "mv ~/.optsdksettings ~/.optsdksettings.old".

After this I was able to run "nm-applet" re-set my network setting firstly for the LAN, then a test reboot and re-set the wireless and all appears to be good again.

I hope this helps someone.....

PhilthyPhil, Sep 8, 2008
  14. randvegeta

homeless

Re: Networking Center is Broken - FIXED

i'm having the same problem but don't know how to implement your solution. my acer one runs windows xp. i clicked on "run," typed in "cmd," and then typed in your code, and it said "'mv' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

help, please.

homeless, Oct 2, 2008
  15. randvegeta

HickDead

Re: Networking Center is Broken - FIXED

HickDead, Oct 5, 2008
  16. randvegeta

HickDead

Bloody lost connecton before could reply lol. In resonse to above quote I've tried this and networking has not been re-created its just gone (a rookie mistake on my part I'm guessng lol). Any ideas on how to get it back?

HickDead, Oct 5, 2008
  17. randvegeta

muuuuuu

muuuuuu, Oct 9, 2008
  18. randvegeta

Leanhunt

I have following this thread and finally had success with Acer support. Network center icon now works. This is what they told me:
    First, turn power off and remove battery.
    Hold power button down for 10 seconds.
    Replace battery and turn on power.
    Make sure the connectivity light is on and click "network center" icon
    Make sure the WLAN field is selected, not the LAN
    Select your wireless server, and all should be well.
    Support guy told me that an update could have changed the connection from WLAN to LAN.

Leanhunt, Oct 13, 2008
  19. randvegeta

spidermonkey

Excellent job Roo, mine is all sorted now too :D

I haven't used Linux in over 14 years, but I'm starting to enjoy the tweakiness of it. And this forum is just what I needed :mrgreen:

spidermonkey, Nov 6, 2008
  20. randvegeta

erland

Re: Networking Center is Broken (SOLUTION)

I solved my wireless problem (network manager broken, no wireless icon showing up in the notification area, no connections) on the Linpus Linux version of the AAO by just deleting the all the files in the folder
    Code:
    /home/user/.gconf/system/networking/connections
    (copy and paste that line into the file manager to get there) and restarting the computer (all the necessary configuration files will be restored to default).

You can find out if this is the solution for you by trying to open Network Manager from the terminal (see http://the.taoofmac.com/media/Acer/Aspi ... notes.html for instructions on accessing a terminal and much more handy stuff) - type the following command in the terminal:
    Code:
    nm-applet 
    and if you get an error and it says something about gconf and the "connections" folder above then that's it and you can use this solution.

erland, Jan 29, 2009
Ask a Question