Networking Center is Broken

Discussion in 'Networking' started by randvegeta, Aug 17, 2008.

1. randvegeta

randvegeta

Hello all. I jus bought an Acer One (1GB RAM and 8GB SSD). I bought it 4 days ago when I was in Hong Kong. I'm now in the UK, so obviously I cannot take it back to the shop.

At first, everything was fine. I could connect to a wireless network and the computer booted normally. When I arrived in England 3 days ago, I had a problem connecting to a wireless network and my Aspire kept shutting itself down automatically. It has now stopped doing that but since then I have been unable to access the Networking Center in Settings. I am also unable to veiw the wifi icon in the tray and so i cannot connect to a network.

I have been able to confirm that the wired LAN interface is working as I managed to configure it via the command line but I cant figure out why the netwokring center doesnt load and so i cant configure it from there.

Anyone else had the same problem? or does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks.

randvegeta, Aug 17, 2008
  2. randvegeta

Guest Guest

Exactly the same here - I was staying at a hotel in Dublin and it all worked fine, then they had some internet problems and when they fixed it everything that has to do with internet doesnt work anymore. Network settings etc.... Please help!

Maybe sort of formatting the One is an option - don't know hpw to.

Jop

Guest, Aug 18, 2008
  3. randvegeta

whoaccio

I had the same problem. Everything was working fine for a good time, and then I took it on a plane to Edmonton. When I got off the plane, I couldn't enter the Network Settings or see the internet icon either. I ended up just reformatting, but I am sure there is a more practical solution.

whoaccio, Aug 18, 2008
  4. randvegeta

randvegeta

So does no one have a solution other than to reformat?

randvegeta, Aug 20, 2008
  5. randvegeta

Coffee&Milk

I am having the same problem!!

I hope there is a solution!

I bought two Acer Aspire One computers yesterday at Circut City - nice blue ones at that! One for each of my 12 yr old twin boys. One is working great, but the other has the same problem described above - wireless and network icon gone from the front panal, and clicking on the Network Center in Settings does nothing. This happened after about 3-4 hours of use. Everything else on the computer works great. I thought my son must have changed some critical setting, and so looked high and low for something that may have been changed, but could find nothing. This is very frustrating! Luckily, the Circut City is on my way home from work, so I'm taking it back and (hopefully) getting a new one. Hope it does not happen again -- or to the other one!!
    But if it does, does anyone out there have a solution? After 14 days, I will no longer be able to take the thing back!

Thanks!!
    :(

Coffee&Milk, Aug 20, 2008
  6. randvegeta

Coffee&Milk

I just sent an email off to Acer Tech Support describing the problem.

Did anyone else do this?

If so, what was their reply?

7. randvegeta

Coffee&Milk

This was just posted on LinuxQuestions.org by joacimd.

"Talked to Acer support yesterday. The only solution they came up with was full system recovery. I had to use the recovery DVD to make a recovery USB flash-drive. Not a good solution, but it solved the problem... Remember to back up your files if you do this :)"

8. randvegeta

RooMonster

Hi all,

I've had the same problem and have managed to fix it (almost). I've managed to get the Networking Center (inc icon in tray) and wireless running, but the networking center doesn't keep a record of the wireless key so you have to enter it each time you connect. Maybe others can sort this (I'll obvisouly post if I figure this out in the mean time).

This is what I did to get this far:

Open Terminal (My Files, right click then click Open Terminal from Here)

Enter the following commands

Code:
    su
    Enter your root password (the one you entered when you first used the system)

Code:
    NetworkManager stop
    Note: CAPITAL N and M are important above

Code:
    NetworkManager start
    The following needs to be done each time you reboot (anyone no how to fix this?)

Code:
    nm-applet
    The networking icon should appear and you should now be able to open the Networking Center. As mentioned above you will need to enter the wireless key each time you connect (anyone no how to fix?)

I not have managed to fix all issues with this yet but this should get you connected to the internet. Hopefully others can also help.

Roomonster

RooMonster, Aug 20, 2008
  9. randvegeta

Payndz

Thanks, RooMonster - it works! Not an ideal solution, but at least I now have internet connectivity until I'm able to get access to a PC so that I can make a USB restore key. (The travails of being a Mac owner...)

The Network Manager and icon also disappear if I quit the Terminal, incidentally.

Payndz, Aug 20, 2008
  10. randvegeta

RooMonster

That is odd. closing the terminal doesn't quit them for me. Do you wait until you've got a connection before closing it? Try that. I'll have a play this end and see what I can figure out.

RooMonster

RooMonster, Aug 20, 2008
  11. randvegeta

Chris

I just had the same problem. I have the asp. one for over 1 month already. The connection broke when I had the xfce4-panel open and was not using it for a short while so the unit felt asleep. After waking it up, connection was lost and the icon dissapeared. Howeever when I move the slideswitch it shows the on/off wifi connect icon in the middle of the screen but the driver does not seem to start. no icon in the icon tray and the network centre refuses to open.

this solution does not seem to work for me, it shows a bunch of error messages telling me that it is not able to read 4 bytes and pipes are broken etc...

Chris, Aug 20, 2008
  12. randvegeta

Chris

To be more precise, first a bunch warnings,
    couldn't read 4 bytes from gnome-keyring socket
    Connection reset by peer

aswell as a warning in between;
    required setting '802-3 ethernet' not found
    followed by the warning;
    Invalid connectio read from GConf at /system/networking/connections/l.

then a bunch messages
    write_all write failure:: Broken pipe

Chris, Aug 20, 2008
  13. randvegeta

Chris

I had the idear to do a reinstall of the driver by using the add/remove sotware, but without a internet connection this seems not possible? any idear how you can reinstall the networkcenter app?

Chris, Aug 20, 2008
  14. randvegeta

RooMonster

I get those error messages as well, but it allowed me to get a connection. do you get the networking icon with the red cross in the notification area on the panel?

RooMonster, Aug 20, 2008
  15. randvegeta

RooMonster

Re: Networking Center is Broken - FIXED

I've finally managed to figure this out. What appears to have happened is the connection config files for our profiles have not been updated properly due to a power loss etc. To fix you need to reset the connection config files for your profile by removing them (or moving them). To do this you need to run the following command in a terminal:

Code:
    mv ~/.gconf/system/networking ~/ 
    This moves the networking config files to your home (My Files) directory thereby hiding them from the NetworkManager.

Then reboot

After you reboot the networking applet/icon will appear in the notifications area of the panel and all will be as it should be (post if not). You can then delete the networking folder from you home directory with the following run from the terminal or by deleting it from My Files.

Code:
    rm -rvf ~/networking
    RooMonster

RooMonster, Aug 21, 2008
  16. randvegeta

Payndz

Just tried your new fix, RooMonster, and it seemed to work perfectly. Thanks! (You just saved me from having to send my AA1 back!)

Payndz, Aug 21, 2008
  17. randvegeta

YooY

Re: Networking Center is Broken - FIXED

great, do you know if it lasts for long???

YooY, Aug 23, 2008
  18. randvegeta

RooMonster

Yes it should. It takes it back to the original state because the Networking Manager is forced to recreate the your Networking config files, as it does when you first turned on your machine. You should not experience the same problem unless you loose power or turn off the one with out shutting it down properly and then it is unlikely that the config files will be corrupted again (but is possible).

My one has been working fine since, even after power failure (just tested it).

RooMonster

RooMonster, Aug 23, 2008
  19. randvegeta

randvegeta

Hello all.

Looks like people have started to find a solution to the problem. A little late for me though, I've already fixed mine without having to restore.

I fixed my problem by manually configuring the wired network card and connecting to the internet. Once connected to the internet, I simply updated the computer's software and downloaded all the patches. Having done that, everything started working ok!

Looks like Acer didnt quite spend enough time building a bug free OS for us.. Oh well.. if the patches fix it, Im happy.

randvegeta, Aug 23, 2008
  20. randvegeta

Coelli

Just wanted to chime in and say I also had the issue of the Network Center breaking after the system shut down when the battery ran out. None of the posted fixes worked for me. I'm trying to get XP on it now, so I won't be restoring Linpus. :)

Coelli, Aug 24, 2008
Ask a Question