Networked HP Photosmart C5180 - Setup on Aspire One?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brgnewman, Sep 2, 2008.

1. brgnewman

brgnewman

Hey everyone!

So I just picked up my brother a Acer Aspire One (1.6ghz|1gb ram|8gb SSD|Linux) from my work and holy crap I already love it.

But one question; how would I go about setting up our networked HP Photosmart C5180 all-in-one on it?

I don't care about the scanning and card reader features on it, I just want to be able to print from the Aspire One to the printer.

The printer is wired directly to my router.

I have tried to enter in the hostname of the printer and using the C5100 Series drivers in the printer setup wizard on the Aspire One but it doesn't seem to work.

Suggestions? Sorry new to Linux hahaha

Thanks guys!

brgnewman, Sep 2, 2008
  2. brgnewman

linker3000

1) Find yourself at a command prompt
    2) Type: sudo yum update cups to update the printing subsystem and get (more) networked printing features, such as LPR/LPD support
    3) Check this database for a suitable printer driver: http://www.openprinting.org/show_printe ... Smart_5180
    4) Use the add printer feature to setup your printer.

Sorry - very generic instructions as I am not in front of my AA1 at the moment.

linker3000, Sep 3, 2008
  3. brgnewman

blueone

Thank you.

blueone, Sep 5, 2008
  4. brgnewman

bluefrog

Hey was in a similar situation a few days ago but after some googling I discovered that HP have really good Linux support and managed to get mywi-fi photosmart to work using their HPLIP package - very impressed - was as easy as the Windows setup.

bluefrog, Sep 6, 2008
Ask a Question