Network share hair loss !!!!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Rooster#1, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Rooster#1

Rooster#1

Please help me, this is my first dip into linux, and its hurting !
    I can connect to the internet, so the network IS working fine, but how do I look for network shares ?
    All our other computers use XP, so its just a case of browsing... is there nothing similar in Linpus ? (if not, why not ?)
    Ive read the "how to's" several times, mount this and mount that... still none the wiser :-(

Basically, I have movies stored on a Landisk - 192.168.2.6/public/movies (connected to the wireless router) NO PASSWORDS etc.
    Downloaded VLC, and thought that would allow browsing, but nah....

So what DO we do ? PLease dont send me a pile of links... my brain cant deal with more reading at the mo ! LOL

TIA

PS I even tried to install XP, but it wouldnt boot :-( funny what happens at 5am .... restored the Linpus from supplied disk - funnily enough, we prefer the simple interface, if only we could sort this streaming...

Rooster#1, Jan 17, 2009
  2. Rooster#1

daldred

Because Acer left it out!

There are dozens of threads on this topic in the forum. Two possible answers:

pyNeighbourhood (see this thread, but you need to do some command line work, or

Konqueror (excellent software - file manager/browser/all sorts of other things, automatic installation as with any packaged Linux software, but pulls in some big libraries) - see here.

daldred, Jan 17, 2009
Ask a Question