Network Manager has never worked reliably with Linpus!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mintymiller, Aug 14, 2009.

1. mintymiller

mintymiller

The folks having problems with NM and Live Update in Linpus Lite should be aware that they have never worked particularly well with Acer's flavour of this Linux OS. NM is frequently broken after waking the AA1 from sleep, requiring a reboot. Good job that reboot is relatively fast, but it's still a pain having to reopen the work you were doing before waking the machine! I advise everyone to go to Macles web page and follow his instructions for backing up and restoring (YOUR INSTALLTION) from a USB stick and not Acer's. That has saved my bacon a few times when the useless Live Update has disabled something! It's a bit like Time Machine on the Mac. Recently, I found an updated NM that allowed me to join our Enterprise WiFi network for the first time....but, I got fed up with having to reboot afer sleep just to get the NM back again so rolled back to the older version using Macle's script!

Unfortunately, I didn't back up before running the April Live Update and now I'm stuck with the hobbled Mobile Partner software that 'hangs' on the connection box without actually hanging and I didn't bother with incremental backups using Macles scripts beforehand...I now do. Acer has still not issued for a fix for this problem and to be honest, I doubt they care to bother!

Don't get me wrong, I like the Linpus OS; it's far preferable to Windoze on this little machine any day; but boy, what I'd give to be able to run a stripped down version of OS X on it instead!!

mintymiller, Aug 14, 2009
  2. mintymiller

Toh-Maag

Rebooting is not necessary, open a terminal window and type nm-applet &
    then press return, type exit, press return and bob should be your uncle

Toh-Maag, Aug 14, 2009
Ask a Question