Network Manager Forgets WPA Key

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tekkie, Aug 16, 2008.

1. tekkie

oneuserp

Having tried most of the suggestions in this thread, for solving the forgetting wifi keys problem, I came across http://the.taoofmac.com/media/Acer/Aspire One/AA1notes.html which says
    I followed the advice and all the forgetting keys problems went away, unfortunately so did my 3G connection which I'd got working using http://one.iholle.com/index.php?id=80 .

To get the 3G going again, I downloaded the vodafone software from https://forge.betavine.net/frs/down...er-for-linux-2.0.beta3-ALL-i386-installer.run which just worked, even warns me when three.co.uk fails to give me a proper DNS setting and allows me to SMS. The only remaining problems is with three.co.uk's flaky connections .. might have to switch carrier.

oneuserp, Oct 23, 2008
  2. tekkie

ebustelo

This is for those who updated NetworkManager with IMSancho script.
    After doing this my network manager was able to connect to my university WPA-entreprise,
    but at the same time it always asked me for any WPA key before connecting to any network.
    Finally the solution for me was to edit the file: /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop
    and edit the line: Exec=nm-applet --sm-disable
    All I had to do was to add "sudo" in this way: Exec=sudo nm-applet --sm-disable

After this I had two reboot to times and now NetworkManager can remember the WPA keys!
    -------------------
    A second part of my story involves stupidly using live update so the Network Manager went back to the original.
    I used the IMSancho script for a second time and I got updated again for WPA-entreprise.
    However the previous solution was not working now... ;-(

Finally, I have downloaded NetworkManager109.sh from http://update.linpus.com/ACER/AspireOne/v1.0.9/
    After running it, I have got the original NetworkManager again, but now the IMSancho script and the edition of the nm-applet.desktop file worked again!

I hope this can help to someone with the same problem I had.

ebustelo, Oct 29, 2008
  3. tekkie

reglof

Hi fellow,

I have the exact same problems. My NM keeps forgetting (irregularly) the WPA Key.

Sometimes a simple reboot helps, sometimes it takes 2 reboots and sometimes it just wont work.
    Well, I read all the posts here but havent identified THE solution to the problem.
    Since I am not so firm with Linux I am wondering if anybody out there has figured out a valid solution to this really annoying problem :x

If I run a "ps -ef" I can tell that nm-applet is running as root - in case this information is of any help.

I am running an AAO 110L with an up-to-date Linpus system. So any help will be DEEPLY appreciated.

TIA.

reglof, Nov 10, 2008
  4. tekkie

GlenMH

I have this problem too with connecting with my home router. However, when the dialog box to input the WPA password in appears, I just push cancel and then it connects OK.

Weird!

GlenMH, Dec 5, 2008
  5. tekkie

luigirossi

I've tried all solution in this thread.... with no result.

But, I founded in this link:
    http://www.xfce.org/documentation/4.2/m ... e4-session

this phrase:

So.. Right Click ---> Settings ----> Impostazioni sessione ad avvio (my language is Italian... i think "Session and Startup settings") --->
    Advanced ----> And Check "Launch Gnome services on startup"

Reboot... and ... IT'S WORK !!!! Network manager remember my passwords !!! Also in "Edit" menus !!! YIPPIYAYEEEEEEEEE

I Hope this is the "final solution" .... greetings from italy !!! nice forum !

luigirossi, Jan 21, 2009
  6. tekkie

GlenMH

Unfortunately I get an error when I do that: no such plug in: session

Sorry - still not there....

GlenMH, Jan 22, 2009
  7. tekkie

GlenMH

UPDATE:

The liveupdate to the comms manager I have installed today fixed the issue - fantastic!! Bollox - no it hasn't.... :x

GlenMH, Jan 24, 2009
  8. tekkie

reglof

reglof, Jan 24, 2009
  9. tekkie

Jaden

I have this problem and tried several of the solutions suggested here, the one that seemed to work is getting rid of the sudo in the init script. Still can't get the suspend/resume to work properly but I have a workaround - I have assigned the script that Dros supplied to a keyboard shortcut so when I wake AA1 up, I hit CTRL+ALT+N and 5 seconds later I have working Internet.

Thanks for all the sugestions, it's this type of thing that makes Linux frustrating and great at the same time - annoying problems that the community rallies around to fix.

J.

Jaden, Jan 25, 2009
  10. tekkie

carlosfunk

Edit /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager and comment out the lines that kill nm-applet...

Code:
    suspend_nm() {
        # Tell NetworkManager to shut down networking
        dbus-send --system                         \
            --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager  \
            /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager        \
            org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.sleep
       #killall -SIGPWR nm-applet
    }

resume_nm() {
        # Wake up NetworkManager and make it do a new connection
        dbus-send --system                        \
            --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager \
            /org/fre[color=#FF0000]edesktop/NetworkManager       \
            org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wake
       #killall -SIGUSR2 nm-applet
    }

carlosfunk, Jan 29, 2009
  11. tekkie

Jaden

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. This has worked and my Aspire 1 is now reconnecting to my wireless automatically when I open the lid/resume.

I am now 100% happy, thank you random-people-that-I-have-never-met :)

J.

Jaden, Jan 30, 2009
  12. tekkie

GlenMH

Fantastic - me too.

Carlosfunk - I owe you a beer!

Glen

GlenMH, Jan 31, 2009
  13. tekkie

GlenMH

Even after Carlos Funks fine work above, this was still a bit erratic.

I have finally sorted this out finally: it depends on whether or not the SSID is broadcast by the access point. I have turned on SSID broadcast on my router, and all is now OK. Connects over WPA2 every time....

Glen

GlenMH, Feb 17, 2009
  14. tekkie

sean-michael

whe I start nm-applet in terminal

I get this error code what has caused this

(nm-applet:30005): WARNING **: <WARN> applet_dbus_manager_start_service(): Could not acquire the NetworkManagerUserSettings service as it is already taken. Return: 3

(nm-applet:30005): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

I have problems with my wep key it wont save everytime I turn on my netbook acer aspire one linux distro it keeps asking for the wep key even though I put it in 100 times.

Its getting me angry grrrr

Please help

sean-michael, May 25, 2009
Ask a Question