Network Manager Forgets WPA Key

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tekkie, Aug 16, 2008.

1. tekkie

nunomeneses

I tryed what jonglee25 (thank you so much jonglee25) posted but in my case i edited the file /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop in the line to execute nm-applet i added the sudo and then i reboot and it connects alone and not asking for the key again anymore! This was at my home and it is secured with wpa personal.

Since i'm having problems connecting at my university to the EDUROAM wireless network that keep asking for keys and doesn't make the connection i hope this fix that too. If someone here allready made the connection work by NetworkManager to the EDUROAM please help me!

I have one last question. When i updated the version of NetworkManager, the icon for the network on the settings menu of the one's desktop, doesn't work. It seems that the command to start the editor of the network connections changed and i don't know what it is. Anyone?

Thank you all, and great job!

nunomeneses, Sep 14, 2008
  2. tekkie

h0dges

Man I'm confused!

Ok, I haven't played about with the desktop switch - I'm from the other crowd following these instructions: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1028&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p11346 to get eduroam connection working - and it works! Except it doesn't remember the password after reboot.

After reading all these proposed solutions to give nm-applet the right permissions, is there a definitive fix yet? (for reboot AND standby?)

EDIT: ok, executing gnome-keyring-daemon allows the updated nm-applet to access the passwords. How do I get it to run on startup?

And annafil could you please post your fix to get nm-applet executed after wake from standby? :)

h0dges, Sep 15, 2008
  3. tekkie

ebustelo

h0dges: My case is similar to yours. I updated NetworkManager to have access to the eduroam network of my university. It made it work in my own university but no outside... I tried several things to make NM remember the WPA keys. Finally the only working has been the one posted several posts before, telling how to delete the old network settings.

My happiness was short... after updating the system with the last live update, the old Network Manager came back... so no more eduroam... and again not remembering the WPA keys... so I have got the worst combination. Now I´m afraid of doing something wrong if I try to update the new "old NetworkManger", because maybe the script is no longer working.

ebustelo, Sep 15, 2008
  4. tekkie

h0dges

Yes I've noticed we're in similar situations. I think you probably could just run the script again to get the new network manager back - if it don't work I don't think it'll brake anything.

Anyway, as far as I'm aware, all I have to do to get mine 100% working is to:

:arrow: get gnome-keyring-daemon executed on boot EDIT: Fixed by adding entry to xfce4-autostart-editor

:arrow: get nm-applet executed on wake EDIT: ok, i know i need something like this: /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager.sh in: /etc/pm More help please!

h0dges, Sep 15, 2008
  5. tekkie

nunomeneses

Ok, so i have to make several tryes to connect to EDUROAM wich in my University (FEUP in Portugal) is secured by WPA-PEAP. And the result is at sometime it connects but the connection drops and reconnects every 2 to 12mins... I don't know why, the network has
    hidden SSID,
    WAP enterprise,
    PEAP,
    CA certificate
    MSCHAPv2

I have the latest Network Manager and allready made the tweak to have the keys remembered...

I have no problem what so ever at home with WPA personal... help? :)

nunomeneses, Sep 16, 2008
  6. tekkie

vickoxy

I posted on some places my problem-but i repeat it here:
    after loosing nm-applet i brought it back with xfce-autostart. But now i have to reenter every time my password. I read many threads here and tried some solutions, but nothing is changed. Only thing that works is this autostart editor. But, i a more interested how it happened so suddenly that AA1 doesn´t remember my password-i mean yesterday was all perfect, but today it went down.?
    Is there any simple way to restore this password thing?

vickoxy, Sep 19, 2008
  7. tekkie

vickoxy

vickoxy, Sep 19, 2008
  8. tekkie

vickoxy

Unfortunately, it is workin only after start-after standby-nothing-have to activate nm-applet manually. Does anyone knows how to fix this?

vickoxy, Sep 19, 2008
  9. tekkie

jonglee25

I am generally against using solutions to things when you don't understand the foundation of the problem. It can introduce new elements that can lead to more problems. The post you link is assuming a "bad" nm-applet for whatever the reason and that may well be your problem. However, with mixmatch of versions configurations I think you have introduced more problems, a new one that i can't even begin the fathom from your description.

The General consensus as to why The Network Manager doesn't remember WPA/WEP keys is because of permission problems with gnome-key-Daemon and nm-applet. There are number of approaches that are suggested, I took an easy approach of just starting gnome-key-daemon as user rather than as root. I posted a solution in a earlier post.

However with you, I suggest you back up your data to an external source and start over with recovery DVD. Probably faster.

jonglee25, Sep 19, 2008
  10. tekkie

SnowboardVicky

Okay. I've followed everything here and I'm still struggling.

When I boot up the computer automatically tries to connect to the internet, the icon shows in the bottom task bar, but it always asks for the password. Once entered it's fine.
    No other problems.
    However one of the fixes i can't follow is editing the /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop

I don't seem to have a file called nm-applet.desktop (i've looked in this directory as user and su).

Can anyone send me their file or if it's short post it here.

Thanks

SnowboardVicky, Sep 19, 2008
  11. tekkie

vickoxy

Jonglee, thanks-i followed your instructions:
    After i removed sudo nothing happens. I didn´t find any nm-applet.desktop. Than i initialized nowait.su (i put it in xfce-autostart-editor, not as sudo). What happens:
    1) when i started comp. i had to put password (worst as before, when it did it automaticaly)
    2) after hibernation i activated nm-applet (i made one starter on icon tray) and it recognized automaticaly my network. (that is better as before)
    UPDATE:
    3) i put in xfce-autostart-editor also nm-applet. The result is:
    -by startup Network is recognized. And Password
    -after hibernation nm-applet is not activated, but when i click my starter it connect itself automaticaly-network and password is recognized.
    So, now i need to figure how to make computer to recognize network automaticaly after hibernation whitou starter.

I hope that someone knows what is happening with my computer?

vickoxy, Sep 19, 2008
  12. tekkie

jcm

I've had this problem with the Network Manager forgetting the WPA key since day one of owning an AAO-- until I plucked up the courage and updated the BIOS to v3304 yesterday. So far, the problem seems to have gone away, but it may return in future, who knows. :roll:

jcm, Sep 19, 2008
  13. tekkie

vickoxy

Hi jcm - you can tell me how to update bios? Manually or...? I am novice to linux...

vickoxy, Sep 19, 2008
  14. tekkie

jcm

Hi vickozy, I'm a novice too when it comes to Linux.

I tried unetbootin on Linux to update the BIOS, using macles instructions, but couldn't get Linux Linpus to detect my usb stick and got a bunch of error messages as well, so decided to go the Windows XP route:-

I got the files and most of the information I required from http://www.flazh.de/en/bios-boot-usb-stick.htm so kudos to the German webmaster of that site. ;)

I downloaded the HP USB Boot Utility.exe (1.77Mb) -- the HP format utility for USB sticks under Windows -- and usbdos.zip, which contains 3 MS-DOS files (command.com, io.sys and msdos.sys) which must be unzipped to your Windows XP hard drive. Links to the two files are below:-

http://www.flazh.de/inc/dl.php?PHPSESSI ... usbdos.zip

http://www.flazh.de/inc/dl.php?PHPSESSI ... ootusb.zip

Instructions:
    --------------

Install the HP-Setup program on a Microsoft Windows computer (I used XP), plug in your USB stick into a port and run the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool program.

The HP USB Disk format tool should show your USB-Stick under "Device."

Choose FAT under File system and activate the tickbox "Create a DOS startup disk."

Insert the path to your usbdos folder on your Windows computer (containing the unzipped DOS files -- they may be hidden, but are there)

Press the Start button of the HP USB Disk format tool and wait until the tool has formatted the USB-Stick and has copied the 3 system files on it.

Now you've got a bootable USB-Stick, all done on a Microsoft Windows machine. Now copy ALL the unzipped AAO 3304 Bios files onto the USB-Stick (3304, ZG5_3304.fd, FLASHIT, etc)

Now, over to your Acer Aspire One (AAO), and make sure it is plugged into a mains AC power outlet. Put the USB stick into the USB port of your AAO, and power up your AAO, pressing F12 when prompted at the start. You should be able to select your USB stick/HDD here. That should take you to a "C:" DOS prompt.

flashit.exe/? will give you options. Find the letter to back up your old BIOS and back it up as a precautionary measure. I did, but can't recall which letter it was, but I think it's G. :roll:

enter 3304.bat to flash the BIOS (only version 3304). This will run the bat file.

After 30 seconds or so, your AAO should be updated with the new BIOS, and it'll reboot by itself into linpus linux.

I didn't have any problems with the above instructions, but make sure you back up your existing BIOS first. I'd better issue a disclaimer here and say do the above at your own risk, but you should be fine. The good thing is that whenever a new BIOS is released, then this stick can be reused again to update it.

jcm, Sep 19, 2008
  15. tekkie

vickoxy

Well, thanks for advice but i will stay with linux-and i have no win computer as well. My Problem si now only that after hibernation wifi does not switch automatically on. I need to press my starter button for nm-applet. But then i choose my network and it recognizes password. So, i hope that is not big deal to fix...?

vickoxy, Sep 19, 2008
  16. tekkie

jcm

I'm still using Linux on my AAO, but used XP to create the USB boot stick so that I could get into DOS and update to the latest BIOS. I believe a BIOS update will fix the hibernation/sleep/wifi problem, but maybe someone will post a software fix.

jcm, Sep 20, 2008
  17. tekkie

vickoxy

Is there any way to see what activates itself after hibernation/stand by? Because it seems that nm-applet does not ativate itself after hibernation. Or, is there any script that correct such things. As told, now my network and password is recognized after reboot, but after hibernation i have to press my starter nm-applet to activate it.

vickoxy, Sep 20, 2008
  18. tekkie

h0dges

Hello vickoxy!

I believe we are at the same stage in terms of this problem. In answer to your question, if you read my last post in this thread ( viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1395&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40#p23274 ) then you'll see I maybe have a solution to get nm-applet executed on wake - I have yet to test this myself.

h0dges, Sep 21, 2008
  19. tekkie

vickoxy

Thanks h0dges, but i am not sure how to execute this orders-or where, or what to do with them. If you can be more specific...i am still newbie with linux
    Thanks

vickoxy, Sep 21, 2008
  20. tekkie

uschan

Network Manager Forgets WPA Key: Easy D-BUS solution

I found a solution in an archlinux-forum [1], that was easy adaptable to linpus and works on my aa1:

• Just create a simple text-file in /usr/share/dbus-1/services/ [/*:m:2pm0geqq]
    • Name the file: org.gnome.keyring.service (the suffix is important)[/*:m:2pm0geqq]
    • The file consists of the following three lines:[/*:m:2pm0geqq]

Code:
    [D-BUS Service]
    Name=org.gnome.keyring
    Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon
    After reboot you have to enter the WPA-password just one more time.

[1] http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=294185

uschan, Sep 22, 2008
Ask a Question