Network Manager Forgets WPA Key

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tekkie, Aug 16, 2008.

1. tekkie

ebustelo

Hello, I've got the same problem after updating the network manager (in order to gain access to my university wireless network).
    Now I have to enter the WPA key everytime.
    gnome-keyring-daemon is not running after boot. I can start it by alt+F2. But once running, when I try to edit the wifi connection I don´t see the password.
    When I enter it, then I can switch off and on the wifi and now it will remember the password, but nothing after reboot and nothing after manually starting the gnome keyring daemon.

Do I miss something important from your message?

Thanks.

ebustelo, Sep 3, 2008
  2. tekkie

ebustelo

Some more information: I stopped the process nm-applet, I opened a terminal and started it again.
    This is the error messages showed:

Code:
    ** (nm-applet:9638): WARNING **: couldn't connect to daemon at $GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET: /tmp/keyring-7eBCDk/socket: Permission denied
    ** Message: <info>  No keyring secrets found for Experiment in Progress/802-11-wireless-security; asking user.
    The gnome_keyring_daemon was working at the same time, so I guess there is a problem between the updated network manager and the keyring system.

I hope someone knows more than me about this topic...

ebustelo, Sep 3, 2008
  3. tekkie

IMSancho

Have you tried stopping the keyring manager and then starting it again, this time making sure you launch it as a normal user and NOT with sudo or from a # prompt? Sounds like the keyring manager may be running as root and not letting nm-applet connect as it is running as a normal user invoked process.

IMSancho, Sep 4, 2008
  4. tekkie

anguston

Hi,

My A110 sometimes (more often than not) has problems connecting to my wireless router. When I first added the details of my wireless network and the WPA key it connected after a while. Then following a reboot it failed to connect. Now sometimes it will and sometimes it wont. I cannot recreate it consistantly. I've looked at the WPA_supplicant log file and there is nothing useful in it.

The gnome-keyring-daemon is running, but when i try and run gnome-keyring-manager it says it isnt.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to get it to connect? It almost defeats the purpose of having a netbook if I can not use it on the net and although it connects without problems with wires, it isn't an ideal solution.

Cheers,

Anguston

anguston, Sep 4, 2008
  5. tekkie

Mikael

I enthusiastically thought the fix was at hand. I quickly learned the same thing as Hamza: nowait ok and keyring didn't do it. Painful...what to do?

Mikael, Sep 4, 2008
  6. tekkie

annafil

Sounds like it could be permissions guys.

What happened to me before was nm-applet (the panel applet) got run as a sudoer once, and after that my normal user was denied access to the keyring so it kept asking me for passwords.

I had no choice but to use the gnome-keyring-manager to delete ALL the existing keyrings, and create a new one

annafil, Sep 4, 2008
  7. tekkie

annafil

Just saw IMSancho's comment - sounds right on the money.

annafil, Sep 4, 2008
  8. tekkie

ebustelo

This is what is happening to me after I updated the NetworkManager (to gain WPA-enterprise access).

- I turn on my computer and NM ask me for the WPA key of my home rooter. I cancel.
    - ALT+CTRL-DEL to go to System Monitor shows only gnome-screensaver and gnome-vfs-daemon (and also gnome-system-monitor logically).
    Nothing related to gnome-keyring
    - My nowait file is exactly as it should be (compared with that showed a few posts before), so nm-applet is launched with sudo nm-applet.

- I open a terminal and write gnome-keyring-daemon ($ as normal user).
    - System Monitor now shows gnomet-keyring-daemon

- I try to connect to my network (by using the nm icon), but it still ask me for the WEP key. Cancel.
    - I kill nm-applet process
    - I start nm-applet in terminal (normal user) and it gives the same error messages I posted before: several WARNING...

Code:
    ** (nm-applet:8435) : WARNING **: couldn´t connect to daemon $GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET: /tmp/keyring-RjlWHk/socket: Permission denied
    ** Message: <info> No keyring secrets found for my-network-issd/802-11-wireless-security; asking user. 
    - I restart the computer. Again the same... ask for WPA, cancel.

- From terminal I type: sudo gnome-keyring-daemon

Code:
    GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET=/tmp/keyring-L0YWpb/socket
    GNOME_KEYRING_PID=3976
    - I try to connect to my network but again ask for WPA key. Cancel.
    - Kill nm-applet process
    - Immediately I type: sudo nm-applet... and the Network Manager icon appear and directly connects to my network without asking the WPA key!!!

I don´t understand very well all these things, I just tried to do logical things from what I have read in this thread.
    I hope someone who knows better than me can explain me what the ... have I done and finally find a solution for this problem. I hope it helps! ;-)

-- update: Booting the A1, killing nm-applet and running sudo nm-applet, does the same trick.

ebustelo, Sep 5, 2008
  9. tekkie

Phil_Urich

As annafil surmised above, it's a permissions problem.

Basically ebustelo it works for you with sudo because then you're running nm-applet as root, and thus it has permissions to read the passwords from gnome-keyring. Actually I'm having an identical problem myself here, heh, and it definitely started right after I once ran nm-applet as root (by running it with sudo). So I'm going to reboot now after using gnome-keyring-manager to delete all the existing keyrings, create a new one, and I expect that to fix the problem for the future :)

Edit: unfortunately, gnome-keyring-manager cannot seem to access the keyring; after boot, running the manager as user claims the daemon isn't running. If I kill the daemon and run it as a user, the manager will claim "access denied to the keyring" if run as user and "keyring daemon is not running" if run through sudo. I'm now unclear on how this would be fixed...

Phil_Urich, Sep 5, 2008
  10. tekkie

annafil

Phil_Urich: you will find I think that even if you don't have permissions to access the keyrings from keyring manager - you can still delete them and start fresh

annafil, Sep 6, 2008
  11. tekkie

ebustelo

mmm... I see this is a permission problem, but I don't know how to solve it.
    I installed gnome-keyring-manager.
    It was tricky to find the good combination of "gnome-keyring-daemon" and "gnome-keyring-manager", as the second claims that the first is not running, so I had to run it first and the run the manager with sudo (other way it give not access to the deposits...).
    I deleted all the deposits excepting one called "session".
    I tried to create a new deposit. It ask for a password. I have put the same that the root password.
    And what then?
    It is still the same, when I boot, I have to enter the WPA key.

Does anybody know? Thanks!

ebustelo, Sep 6, 2008
  12. tekkie

Phil_Urich

Yeah, I found that out through re-reading your earlier posts and realizing I wasn't as locked-out as I thought I was...however, this doesn't work. As in, I can delete the entries (running gnome-keyring-manager as user) but it continues to ask for the password each time.

To get it to recall, all I seem to have to do is run gnome-keyring-daemon to start it; the ps -A list shows it running but until I run it myself I cannot access it with the manager (both as user and as root it claims the daemon isn't running). Of course I'm also having the problem where nm-applet is dieing on suspend (or hibernate? I can never keep the two straight, heh) but once I've gotten gnome-keyring-daemon running it stays going until a full fresh reboot, and every time I wake the AA1 back up and run nm-applet it auto-connects without needing the password.

I'm starting to think there's something weird with the auto-started gnome-keyring-daemon; here's how things currently look to me:

Code:
    [user@localhost ~]$ ps -A | grep gnome-key
      732 tty1     00:00:00 gnome-keyring-d
     1912 ?        00:00:00 gnome-keyring-d

732 is the one that was there after booting, and 1912 is the one I started manually.

Phil_Urich, Sep 6, 2008
  13. tekkie

anguston

Guys,

I swapped my AAO for another at the weekend and that wouldn't connect to my wireless router (3 Com Office Connect 11g) at all using WPA. I decided to try a new access point, so got a Netgear WGR614. I set it up and now my AAO connects without a problem everytime, with no password issues. £25 well spent to solve my problem.

Looking back thou I think I may not have had the same problem, it just appeared to be the problem as the AAO asked for the password everytime it tried to connect and the box was always blank.

Thought i'd post incase it helps anyone else out.

Cheers

anguston, Sep 8, 2008
  14. tekkie

lawnsea

I had a problem similar in symptoms to this, but I think a different root cause. My AA1 refused to connect to my wireless network after I returned home from school today. I perfomed the fix described here so that I could connect to my school's wifi.

In /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log, the following line appeared for every failed connection attempt:
    Code:
    Line 0: Invalid BSSID '00904c7e006e'
    What I ended up doing was the following:
    1) replaced nowait.sh
    2) added the line in /etc/pam.d/passwd
    3) when neither of these helped, I deleted the connection from Network Manager and reconnected. That worked. I didn't even have to reenter my passphrase.

I have no idea what the heck happened, but hopefully this post will help someone else down the line.

lawnsea, Sep 10, 2008
  15. tekkie

Kross

Hey everyone. I'm having the same problem after installing the new Network manager to get WPA Enterprise access.

Well it does seem to be a permission problem, mostly with nm-applet not running in root mode. Even though the nowait.sh instructs to run nm-applet with sudo. once booted, I can kill the process, even though I'm a user. If I manually sudo nm-applet it'll automaticly connect to the wireless without asking for a password. If I try to kill the process again as a user it'll say accesss denied...which makes sense

I guess that means that even though nowait uses sudo, something else might be stopping it and running at user level instead? I hope this might ring a bell with someone. I'm trying to find it myself at the same time.

Kross, Sep 11, 2008
  16. tekkie

Dros

Hi,

I'am new to this board, and new to the a110 :)
    lm
    Because I needed enterprise WPA I upgraded to the new nm and had the same problem, of the forgetting wpa-phrase. After following this thread and little work at the system I found a small workaround for the problem. Put these few lines in a file and chmod it to 755:

sudo killall gnome-keyring-daemon
    sudo killall nm-applet
    gnome-keyring-daemon
    nm-applet &

run it as normal user. It'll solve the problem of the different users of nm-applet and the key-daemon. You can put it on your desktop and execute it right after boot. I've put that into .config/autostart/ but it didn't work. I'am not sure if this is the right place to automatically start an app after boot of the wm, since I'm new to xfce.

At least for me it works, until a real solution is found.

EDIT: Theres a tool called xfce4-autostart-editor which can include apps into autostart, but it doesn't work with my script. Maybe I need to call a shell with the script and not the script alone. Or it's a question of order, but I don't got how to change that. Interessting is, that the nm and the network-authentication is started from there either. Some guy here mentioned, that the programs started in nowait.sh are somehow killed and restarted, I think it' done right there. The night is long... :)

Unfortunately I'am not used to linpus/fedora, I did suse and Debian all my life, at least the latter is a lot more logical. In Linpus I'am confused where is started what service or app...

cu
    Alex

Dros, Sep 12, 2008
  17. tekkie

jonglee25

None of the solution suggested here worked for me.
    For me it was a permission problem with gnome-keyring-daemon starting as sudo and nm-applet starting as user and not being able to access the key. My solution was to edit the /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc (this is the start-up script) and edit out "sudo" from:
    eval `sudo gnome-keyring-daemon`
    export GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET
    export GNOME_KEYRING_PID

Another suggestion is run nm-applet as sudo which I haven't tried. Don't bother with nowait.sh because nm-applet is first initialized at /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop so either edit that to run as sudo or delete that entirely and have it first initialized at nowait.sh.

Does this work? It should but then I haven't test it yet.. lol I'll post later if i can confirm it.

J.

edit: it works. Hopefully people see this before doing anything unncessary

jonglee25, Sep 13, 2008
  18. tekkie

Dros

Hi,

removing /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop helps, the wpa key will be remembered even after reboot. Good work!

Do you have an idea what to do, with missing nm-applet after wakeup from standby? If I wake it up, I have to restart manually nm-applet to get a connection again. I think there must be a list what programs should be executed after wake up, because the battery tool an the mixer are up after standby.

cu
    Dros

Dros, Sep 13, 2008
  19. tekkie

jonglee25

I don't use suspend/hibernation on this. Anyway closest thing I see is /etc/hibernate. You can deal with hibernate scripts if you know how. I tried editing common.conf which contains the script calls calls to Network Manager to resume after standby. However, no success because I don't know the syntax and not even sure if AA1 even uses these files to hibernate. I assume they do, but I am not skilled enough to edit the scripts. I hope that at least points you to right direction.

J.

jonglee25, Sep 14, 2008
  20. tekkie

nenuphar

Kudos for you, IMSancho ! Your script ran fine until the middle of it where it produces some conflicting error messages with the previous network manager packages (installation aborted). Then i ran it a second time under root and the script went to its very end and produced some garbage error codes too. Crossing the fingers, i've made a reboot and the nm-applet fired normally upon start-up (slightly better version, cuspy one !), asked for the WPA password and connected regularly. After taking a look at the connexion settings, (right-click > Modify connexion > Wifi tab > "SSID" > Edit button > Security tab > display password checkbox) there it was ! Sitting in the right place even after a reboot. THANK YOU ! ;)

nenuphar, Sep 14, 2008
Ask a Question