Netbooks Pushing Linux to Mainstream?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by info, Dec 16, 2008.

1. info

info

2. info

Ausweider

nice read that thanks. hope its going to happen.

Ausweider, Dec 16, 2008
  3. info

info

I hope Linux finally takes off too but, Microsoft is trying to throw a monkey wrench into the deal by lowering the price of XP etc. It's possible that sooner or later Linux will have it's day (among new users and not just nerds). However, I wouldn't put it past MS to start giving away XP.

info, Dec 16, 2008
  4. info

rory

Me either. I'm waiting for Windows 7 which is supposedly optimized for netbooks, and I guess they might even somehow optimize Vista for netbooks.
    I seriously cant see it, especially with most netbooks these days shipping with HDD's, so slow OS isn't a stumbling block.
    Rory

rory, Dec 17, 2008
  5. info

Archer

I agree that netbooks are exposing the mainstream public to Linux as an alternative to Windows, some for the very first time. The issue I have though with the manufactures is that if you look at the mainstream netbooks most if not all run some custom locked down version of Linux instead of a more or less full fledged distribution. The eee pc and the aspire both have locked down versions of a less than mainstream distribution that makes is difficult for the newbie to add and remove programs such as they would with windows. I understand the rational to make a product that just works...easy launcher...tabbed interface...most common programs pre installed...but I think the impression that this may leave in some of the publics mind is that Linux is a toy not a powerful alternative to Windows.

Archer, Dec 17, 2008
  6. info

Ausweider

I go along with a lot of what you're saying. It's too early to open up Linux OS's to the mainstream public because it is just such a powerful tool. We all know what kiddies do when they get their hands on a port scanner...

People who need to have full access, will get full access. Also, netbooks are there for, really, a single purpose, it's not a multimedia machine

Ausweider, Dec 17, 2008
  7. info

nmesisca

a big % of the netbooks sold with *nix instead of windows have seen their original OS running for a total of 15seconds before being replaced with Windows.. also thanks to the fact that you were getting a bigger hard drive/ssd with those models. and they were cheaper.
    mine is one of those and I dont believe i am the only one.
    I do not see linux going mainstream before a couple of years, maybe more, depending on the markets conditions too.
    its slowly getting there tho..

nmesisca, Dec 17, 2008
  8. info

clc4912

Linux is a good alternative to those that have some computer background knowledge, but as far as an end user platform, it leaves much to be desired. It is not all that friendly to the less than savy user, which is why I do not see it taking off unless they do something about that issue. Besides, most people are familiar with Windows and would have to be given something significantly better to be influenced to change.

clc4912, Dec 18, 2008
Ask a Question