Netbook U2O 13200 mAh External Battery

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dyno, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Dyno

Dyno

Hi,
    I've been considering buying a larger battery for my Acer Aspire One A101. However I stumbled upon an external Battery solution (Netbook U2O 13200mAh External Battery) which not only seems to more than cover my usage requirements but would also charge any other devices I may have on me with ease. I understand It will still provide a charge to my netbook while in use as it can provide adequate supply.
    Just wondering if anyone else has considered this or if anyone has got one.
    Feedback on any experience are any thoughts would be appreciated.

http://www.u2o-uk.co.uk/products/laptop ... 13200.html

Thanks.

Dyno, Jun 4, 2009
  2. Dyno

dattaway

13,200mAh, but at how many volts? 13,200mAh at 5 volts isn't much, but at 19 volts, that's a LOT. That's 40 watt hours versus 250 watt hours.

dattaway, Jun 4, 2009
  3. Dyno

Dyno

Oh Well, I've now purchased one. Will report back my findings when it arrives to see how well it performs. May be an alternative to changing the netbook battery if you carry more than one device with you.

Dyno, Jun 5, 2009
  4. Dyno

bailout

Very interested to hear how you get on with this. I am thinking of taking my aao cycle touring so the larger the battery the better. I also like the idea that it isn't only usable for the aao ie it could be used for another netbook in the future.

However, the cost is putting me off. With postage they are almost £90. Maplin had a similar unit but even higher capacity 15000mah. They were selling them reduced for just £39 earlier in the year and I am kicking myself now for not buying one then. They have stopped selling them now.

bailout, Jun 8, 2009
  5. Dyno

Dyno

I performed the following test today.
    Charged the U20 to full.
    Ran my A110 down to 0% battery then switched device off.
    Charged the A110 to full with the fully charged U2O ext battery (A110 left off)
    Once fully charged disconnected ext battery and ran down A110 to 0%.
    Once again I recharged the A110 to full. (By now the ext battery indicator was showing low)
    After running down the A110 again I got 15% charge before the external battery was depleted.

This was much lower than I was expecting as it would only extend my notebook usage for approx 5 hours. (Total notebook Approx 7hrs 15 mins full usage if A110 was fully charged)

Product Reviewers had reported that they expected about 15 hours extra usage on their netbooks with this external battery so im disappointed with the results. For the money £80 (inc postage) I would expect more.

BTW it was able to charge my phone, PSP, camera etc with no problems.

Dyno, Jun 10, 2009
  6. Dyno

Dyno

Unsure if my maths is correct as im not too hot in calculating the mAh, volts and watts type conversions. However, previously dattaway reported
    "13,200mAh at 5 volts isn't much, but at 19 volts, that's a LOT. That's 40 watt hours versus 250 watt hours."

Don't know if my maths is correct but if I get 2.5 hours from my 2200mAh battery at 19v. And if my external battery is really 13500mAh at 5v. My external battery at 19v (lets say 20v for simplicity) its the equivilent to 13500 /4 = 3375mAh.

So would 3375mAh @ 19v (20v) = 13500mAh @ 5v.

So in reality my £80 battery = a 3375mAh external battery for an AcerAspire one.

The external battery recharges devices at 5v,12v,16v and 19v

Dyno, Jun 11, 2009
  7. Dyno

Dyno

Second test running fully charged A110 and External battery gave me total of 6 hours 45 mins uptime. Even worse than I feared.

Dyno, Jun 11, 2009
  8. Dyno

bailout

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with it. The times you are getting certainly don't sound like it is performed up to its spec.

I am not an expert but I think the previous post linking mah to voltage is wrong tbh. mah is a measure of stored charge and doesn't change with the voltage in the way you have worked out. Using your figures for your aao battery and up time I think you should be getting 15 hours from the u2o pack if it really held 13200.

I did see a post about another battery pack someone had ordered from Hong Kong that didn't perform as expected. They opened it and found it had two small batteries and some bits of metal to make it weigh more to give an impression of more batteries. I hope your u2o isn't a similar con.

I have searched but haven't found any reviews or experiences of it other than advertising sites.

bailout, Jun 11, 2009
  9. Dyno

Dyno

Thanks for the advice. Although it was purchased through Ebay, the vendor was a shop in the UK. I will go back to them and query the results.

Dyno, Jun 12, 2009
  10. Dyno

Video

You could have a bad cell, or junk like the above poster said.

I'd like to know if you got it fixed, I'd be interested in picking one up, if cheap, and maybe fiddleing with it. I do havve a Black and Decker Battery that runs as an inverter, and was pretty cool, only cost me $20 though, and I've not tested it for this purpose (though it's supposed to be able to run it)

Video, Jul 20, 2009
Ask a Question