Netbook screen goes black randomly

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by rdelgado, Aug 19, 2008.

1. rdelgado

rdelgado

Hello!

I've the Aspire One 8 GB SSD model, with 512MB of RAM without modifications. I managed to install Windows XP SP2 on it with the only trouble of when I install the video drivers from Intel, the netbook screen goes black, I've assumed that was happening because the LCD display wasn't able to show 32-bit color depth (default mode of the video driver). I've solved that rebooting into safe mode and changing the color depth to 16-bit.

But now the problem is that the screen goes black randomly, without any noticeable pattern to reproduce. It could happen from 2 minutes after I turn on the machine or after 45 minutes. I've changed the video drivers from Intel to Acer-provided ones and the problem remains. When the screen goes black, I've to shutdown and restart the netbook to get it back to work.

Has anyone experienced this trouble? Any help is appreciated.

rdelgado, Aug 19, 2008
  2. rdelgado

Syco54645

This happened on mine using linpus. I think mine was caused by me unboxing it, updating it, then not rebooting. It has not done it since and it has been used heavily since i got it a few hours ago.

Syco54645, Aug 20, 2008
  3. rdelgado

rdelgado

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, but in my case I haven't modified the machine hardware, that's the weird thing here. I've read on this forum that people are experiencing problems after modifying the hardware. I'm still looking for help on this topic, before taking the notebook to the Acer Service Center.

Regards.

rdelgado, Aug 20, 2008
  4. rdelgado

Syco54645

I did not modify the hardware, merely updated the software.

Syco54645, Aug 20, 2008
  5. rdelgado

bencallis

I had this problem. I think I have solved it. In power management options set the machine to 'Do Nothing' when the lid is closed.

I feel the error occurs when the aspire one thinks the lid is closed and hence the screen goes black.

bencallis, Aug 24, 2008
  6. rdelgado

rjm

The Linpus A1 by default goes to sleep when you shut the lid. The screen goes black, but the power button flashes.

Black screen with no power button flash is something different, and anyway whatever is going on in XP is totally separate from what some people are getting under LInux.

For Linpus users the first thing Id do is get the latest updates from liveupdate and reboot.

rjm, Aug 26, 2008
  7. rdelgado

djg000111

I have two aspire one netbooks (one is mine) in my house. Both have the linpus lite with the 8 GB SSD. No hardware modification to either one. Both were purchased mid July. My netbook is at Acer Repair Center in Texas for the second time for the screen goes black randomly problem. I only had my netbook in my hands for a few days. The other netbook works great and is used frequently.

When I received my netbook from repair the first time, it failed with the screen going black randomly in the first 15 minutes of use. I decided to do some testing using the power supply and battery from the good netbook. My netbook failed with the screen going blank while:
    * using my netbook with no battery and original power supply
    * using my netbook with no battery and power supply from good netbook
    * using my netbook with original battery and original power supply
    * using my netbook with battery and power supply from good netbook
    * using my netbook with original battery and no power supply
    * using my netbook with battery from good netbook and no power supply

To remove personal data, I ran the os recovery before I shipped the netbook to acer repair. The netbook still failed after I did the os recovery.

The first time I received my netbook from repair, the repair tech enclosed a note indicating that the problem was not duplicated at the repair center. My netbook is still at repair for the second time,

Today, I called acer repair and asked why have they not returned my netbook. I was told that it was in the Engineering Department for evaluation. The Engineers did duplicate my problem several times and it was being returned today. The Engineering Department claimed to have fixed my netbook by doing an os recovery. (I hope the Engineering Department has a different os recovery disk than I do.)

When I was in Engineering school, I had to study logic. Logic tells me that my netbook is not repaired and I will be sending it back for the third time. My best chance for a fix is that the FedEx truck with my netbook on board will hit a big bump in the road before returning my netbook to me.

djg000111, Aug 29, 2008
  8. rdelgado

Jack4L

Hmm, this is wierd. I have this random blank screen problem. I just bought the machine like 5 hours ago. It was being charged for about 4 hours after I unboxed it and plugged in the batery. Just to clarify, I think the notebook is still running in the background, I just cant get the screen to light up again. I've even turned off the automatic powerdown sequence on the machine. Also pressing FN + F6 doesn't do anything after it "audomtaticaly" turns off the screen...

I havn't done anything to the machine other then hook it up via a wifi connection and an ethernet plug.

Another problem is that i've lost my connection manager. You know that little icon in the bottom right that allows you to choose which wireless network you want to use, so I cant connect to the internet with the machine to try and update it.

Should I just returnth te device to the store, to get a new one, or is the problem fixable somehow?

Jack4L, Sep 6, 2008
  9. rdelgado

ohho

Add another one to the random black screen list. Well usually it's black, one time it was blue. The same blue that defaults as the background when you switch your theme to Windows Classic. Setting the power option to do nothing when the lid is down hasn't changed a thing.

It has always happened when I'm on battery power, and has always recovered after a hard shut down. I'm on the 150 version with XP and 6-cell battery, with absolutely no modifications.

It's really strange, the lcd seems to be still on, just outputting a shade of black, and the fans and leds are all working. It's as if the display just stopped working correctly.

I'm really hoping that it's a bios or software problem. I'd hate to send it back to Acer, it's my only computer right now :(

ohho, Sep 9, 2008
  10. rdelgado

tomasblas

I think I have the same problem.

AA1 150 bought 20th August is Spain with no modifications (1 gb RAM, 120 gb HDD, Linpus OS, 3-cell battery, BIOS 3.114).

When operating with batteries and the level is below 20%, I have suffered this problem more than 10 times. I think it never happend when the power supply plugged.

The screen goes black, the fan still running, but the system is blocked because the led of caps lock doesn't respond to the key.

I have to turn it off pressing the on/off switch during several seconds and then the computer restarts twice. The first time it only goes to the Aspire One blue screen, takes some minutes and then restarts again with normal Linpus.

Is this the same problem for you? Any solution?

I think that downgrading my BIOS won't solve this problem.

I don't want to go to technical service if the only thing they will do is restoring my OS. I think this is not the solution either.

Thank you for your feedback!

tomasblas, Sep 10, 2008
  11. rdelgado

AlexHa

Mine as well!

3 cell linux 8GB SSD no hardware mods. Just got it yesterday and updated with all the latest LiveUpdate patches!

Exactly as described above, running off of the battery, hits 20% and then a black screen and doesn't respond. Turn it off and then on, linux does it's thing and starts up again as normal.

It's happened twice in a row - charge - running fine then hits 20% - black screen - charge - running fine then hits 20% - black screen.

I'm not planning on using the battery too much but doesn't fill me with confidence of using it if it cuts out without warning!

Hoping Acer do a simple fix for this through live update?!?

AlexHa, Sep 10, 2008
  12. rdelgado

tomasblas

I updated BIOS to version 3.301 and it DOES NOT solve the problem described here.

I read about version 3.309. Is there any higher version than 3.301 available now?

tomasblas, Sep 12, 2008
  13. rdelgado

zaphod

Macles, on his blog, reports that 3.304 is coming soon, but the version on Acer's European site is still 3.114.

Where did you find 3.301 ?

zaphod, Sep 12, 2008
  14. rdelgado

tomasblas

You can download version 3.301 from: http://www.acer.com.tw/driver.asp

Then, choose the second option in the first selection box. Now you can choose 'Aspire One' in the second one, and finally choose your version in the thrid box.

Click on BIOS tab and download the file.

tomasblas, Sep 12, 2008
  15. rdelgado

zaphod

Thanks for the info. In the end I didn't download this BIOS as it is only listed for the A150 model.

zaphod, Sep 12, 2008
  16. rdelgado

Ranjit

yeh ive been recently getting the same problem, just random black screen its very wierd. i have not modified my AAO at all. I hope acer releases a new bios to fix this problem.

Ranjit, Sep 12, 2008
  17. rdelgado

djg000111

Acer repair finally fixed my aspire one. I had to send it to the Texas repair location three times. When I received it the third time, it worked for many hours with no problem. Acer repair claimed that they installed a new main board and a new thermal unit. My aspire one still looks new after three round trips to the repair shop and after being opened for parts replacement. It took two months after purchased. I should asked for my warranty to be extended.

djg000111, Sep 12, 2008
  18. rdelgado

tomasblas

I have just tried 3304 and it DOESN'T SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.

It crashed with 16% around battery level.

tomasblas, Sep 14, 2008
  19. rdelgado

039166d

I just happened to be surfing with google chrome and all of a sudden it blacked out. I still have 50% battery. I have the XP 120 GB 1 GB Ram Model.

I had to make it go to sleep mode and when I started it again, the screen came back. Super wierd. So far it hasnt happened again. I have also been watching movies on the road, as well as going through several apps and nothing. :cry: :eek: We'll see...

039166d, Sep 15, 2008
  20. rdelgado

Sprawl

I have the same problem with my 110L with limpus and 3109 bios.
    Is there a "quick" solution or do I have to send it back to Acer support center?

Sprawl, Sep 28, 2008
Ask a Question