Need help with buying an Ultraportable, work heavy machine

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by boyuancy, Mar 30, 2014.

1. boyuancy

boyuancy

So I'll be buying a laptop, my first one ever, preferably in the month of May and I'm currently in the process of researching. The thing is, whatever I'm coming across online seems to be a bit outdated. For instance, I constantly come across these forum threads from early 2013 and a lot of laptops have come out since.

So I guess I need suggestions keeping in mind the laptops that are in the market right now (early 2014) and are due release in the next month or so.

So here are my basic requirements for what I'm looking for:

Price: ~$2000 (give or take a 100 bucks).

Function: Mostly work. A lot of web browsing, reading documents, typing and stuff like that. I'm an engineer too so some day, I'll probably want my laptop to be able to run graphics-heavy software (CAD modelling and stuff like that).

Requirements: Super, ultra-portable. If I could, I'll probably have it embedded into my body (that just means that I'll be carrying it around with me everywhere I go)!

I want it to have a very good keyboard and trackpad too so that typing and web browsing seem effortless.

Lastly, a good resolution display for reading complex diagrams and stuff.

Screen Size: Between 13 - 14".

RAM: I'm looking at anything over 4 GB.

Storage: Flexible (but I'm bent towards SSD).

Brands I like: Apple, HP, Dell, Lenovo

Brands I dislike (Not to rigid about it though): Toshiba, Acer, Samsung

Buying in:
    I live in India and I'll be buying it here, preferably in-store.

Now I tell myself that I won't need my laptop to be gaming-friendly but I'll probably be tempted to play some games too. Nothing too heavy though, I mean, I can settle for a laptop that can run decent games and perform the functions I need.

I haven't shortlisted a lot. I really like the Macbook Pro 13" with Retina display and 8 gigs of RAM. But I've never used a Mac before and I'm not sure if it will serve all my purposes (like a lot of the CAD software that I'll want to run may not be available for Mac users).

Alienware 14 (not M14x) seems like a good laptop too, performance wise, but it looks a bit clumsy (heavy).

Now there are the HP ones. I was looking at Zbook 14 today but it's just that HP laptops are a bit too common here (and don't forget that they look downright ugly). Lenovo's Zenbooks look cute but I'm not particularly fond of them (the overall design, the use of blue, etc).

Considering all this, can you guys suggest me anything? Thanks for any/all help offered. :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    boyuancy, Mar 30, 2014
  2. boyuancy

KemoKa

Do yourself a huge favour and do NOT get a Macbook Pro. They use integrated Intel GPUs, which are absolutely HORRENDOUS.

If you need a laptop that can do heavy CAD programs, you had better get yourself something with a dedicated NVIDIA GPU. There are tons out there that are way cheaper than your price range.

I can't imagine what Toshiba has done to earn your disapproval, but their Qosmio X75 is a BEAST. It has a GTX 770M, a GPU that is extremely efficient and powerful, with 3GB GDDR5. That will roast through your CAD programs and is well below your price bracket ($1800). It has great reviews from MaximumPC magazine, so I wouldn't worry about quality issues.

I'm sure there are tons of others out there that have similar capabilities, but for the love of whatever you believe in, DON'T get a Mac for it's graphics.

Hope this helped! :)

KemoKa, Apr 1, 2014
  3. boyuancy

boyuancy

Hey,

Thank you for your reply (I had started to get a little uneasy. Your reply came in at just the right time :)).

I've slowly taken off my Macbook goggles in the last week (it's like being start-struck by a huge celebrity, until you realize that he/she is just another human being with imperfections :p) and I'm not sure if I want to get a MBP anymore. What this means is that I've become more flexible and open to suggestions.

Yeah, so, the Toshiba Qosmio X75. I took a look at it and while it has great specs and provides great value for money, it seems like an old-school laptop. Plus, it's very bulky, which is a huge negative for me.

One of my most important requirements is Ultra-portability. So I want my laptop to deliver great performance while being, possibly under 2.5 Kg (5.5 lbs at the most), maybe?

And the Qos clocks in at 7.5 lbs. I don't think I'd want to lug that around with me to my University, office or wherever I go.

So can you suggest me anything else? Thanks again for your help.

P.S.: Now I'm more open to HP and Lenovo machines.

boyuancy, Apr 2, 2014
Ask a Question