Need help using search function in my files!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Guest, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

First of all guys thanks so much for adding this section.
    I am having trouble using the search function in my files. I am trying to find the xml file I need to edit to add files to my basic desktop.
    If I click on the binoculars at the top and type in: /home/user/.config/xcfe4/desktop/group-app.xml I get an error message saying I cannot use / in the path.
    If I go to my home folder and click on home it will not let me open it as it says nautilus file manager is not running.
    If I go to my advanced desk top and try and install nautilus file manager I get heaps of error messages.

Can anyone tell me please in very very simple terms how to locate the .xml file I am looking for? :?

Guest, Jul 18, 2008
  2. Guest

Flaterik

Go to file manager. On the top, in the address bar, delete all the folder text (for example /home/user).
    Replace it with / only. You are in the root now ;).

If you want navigate, in the window you have all the folder. You can also write after / the initial letter of your folder, the system show to you the possible directories.

Flaterik, Jul 18, 2008
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you so much! It was so simple ... and yet I had spent hours going round in circles. Thanks :D

Guest, Jul 19, 2008
Ask a Question