Need Help upgrading Sony T Ultrabook Hard drive upgrade

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Darren, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Darren

Darren

Hi everyone,

I have a sony t series ultrabook svt151a11l running windows 10 (free upgrade from windows 8), lately my hard drive has been spinning hard and making loud noise esp during startup. My laptop has 24gb ssd (which in my understanding is a cache-only) and 750gb hdd (where windows is installed). I've been wanting to upgrade to ssd. Any idea if it's a straight swap, or is there anything particular that I should know before upgrading?

*Do i leave the 24gb ssd attached, and swap the hdd with new ssd?

I read in other forums that sony bios is difficult to deal with for this laptop.

I also would like to clone my hdd to ssd so i can keep the original copy of windows 10 currently installed.

Please help me as this laptop is my daily driver which contains important data for my work.

Best regards,

Darren, Feb 28, 2018
  2. Darren

OldPhil

IMO I would look into what is causing the HD issue, something is amiss run all you security stuff. Get it straightened out before you clone to the SSD, why drap the problem along?

OldPhil, Feb 28, 2018
  3. Darren

something back

Welcome to the laptop forums site

This program will help make the process easy to migrate from a hdd to ssd. i.e (clone it)

It can be found here:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

I cannot make comment on the small ssd you have as I don't have a sony laptop.

The process should be a simple to swap then over.

something back, Feb 28, 2018
  4. Darren

Darren

i checked on crrystakdiskinfo and my hard drive status is okay. anyways i just want to upgrade to ssd for better speed

Darren, Mar 1, 2018
  5. Darren

Darren

thanks for your response, still waiting on other members if any of them ever did this before..

Darren, Mar 1, 2018
  6. Darren

OldPhil

If you SSD came with dedicated transfer software by all means use it, all the major brands ship with the proper software which may in fact have added items to make it do it's job correctly.
    Another point a hard drive can pass all physical tests and still have a software issue.

OldPhil, Mar 1, 2018
Ask a Question