Need Help on Upgrading from XP Home to XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows' started by mikvi, Dec 6, 2009.

1. mikvi

mikvi

Hi,
    Has anyone out there successfully upgraded an AAO D150 from the factory installed Win Xp Home version to Win XP Pro?

I have a known good Win XP Pro installation disk (volume license version) and an external USB CDROM drive (also known good).

I set the Bios to boot from USB CDROM, put the XP Pro CD in the external CDROM drive and the process seems to begin correctly...windows setup loads files but when it gets to the point where it says "Setup is starting Windows" I all of a sudden get a "Blue Screen of Death" that warns me that..."A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer...".

I have run a virus check on the HDD and also chkdsk /f as suggested in the BSOD message, but the problem recurs every time I try the installation process again.

Does anyone have any suggestions???...i have looked through the "How To Guides..." but could find nothing exactly like my problem...I realize that if successful I will neeed to reinstall all my drivers (I think I have most of them from the Acer website), all the programs I use (I have all my installation disks), and all my data (backed up and ready to go on jump drives).

I need to do this upgrade and am willing to do anything short of soldering to make it happen, but I would very much appreciate some guidance.

Thanks,
    Mike

mikvi, Dec 6, 2009
Ask a Question