Nautilus

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jane renwick, May 17, 2009.

1. jane renwick

jane renwick

I am still struggling ... with Acer Aspire one mini netbook and LINUX OS. I have tried to work out various things on my own but I got this message "... could not open folder, The nautilus file manager is not running". I can't remember exactly what I was trying to do last time, but how to I GET (activate? access?) NAUTILUS.

I would appreciate really simple answers would help me best "Go to, Stupid", "Right click, Stupid" etc.

For instance a really tiny thing would be to change the SOUND attached to "NEW MAIL has arrived in your in box". There is currently a little (default) squeak but I need a longer/louder .WAV file of my own choosing. I can see WHERE the default sound .WAV is sitting, but I don't know how to substitute/change it!

jane renwick, May 17, 2009
  2. jane renwick

barrie

Hi jane,

It is a long time since I used the supplied Acer email client use Thunderbird, but if I remember once you open the Acer mail client go to tools > options and here you should see a box called something like ( play sound for new incoming mail) make sure the box is checked. Now put the wav file you want to use here
    /usr/acer/share/ame/images
    and give it the same name as the file used by Acer mail.
    ( NOTE you will have rename the original incoming Acer mail file first)

barrie, May 18, 2009
  3. jane renwick

jane renwick

Nautilus and/or Thunderbird

Now I a more muddled as you are referring to THUNDERBIRD.

Being brand NEW to ACER and LINUX (formerly long time user of MS Windows), I don't know what THUNDERBIRD or NAUTILUS is used for [/b]. Even then, I don't know how to ACTIVATE (?) either!

Sorry, but told you I was dim!

jane renwick, May 19, 2009
  4. jane renwick

TheTilde

Re: Nautilus and/or Thunderbird

Hi

1) Thunderbird: brought to you by the same people behind firefox, it's an e-mail program (same as Outlook or the default one on the Acer). Thunderbird exists on Windows and Linux. More info here:
    http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
    But if the default mail program on the acer suits you, don't change.

Can you point me where is the default sound? you may need to be root (=Super-user) to change it.

The shortcut Alt+F2 brings you a launcher where yo can type sudo thunar (sudo="I want to be super-user" and thunar is the file manager). Then you have a file manager with all authorizations, even to wipe you system off. So be more than careful. Post more details here if you some want help.

2) Nautilus is another file manager for Linux. The one on the acer one is a very good and fast one named thunar. Quite strange, I don't recall having seen such message asking for Nautilus. Can you describe when it appears?

TheTilde

TheTilde, May 19, 2009
  5. jane renwick

barrie

Hi,

As I said the default sounds for the Acer mail client are here
    /usr/acer/share/ame/images
    So this is where have to place Wav / MP3 sound that you want the program to use. Just copy and paste it but you need to change both its name and the default sound file name.

barrie, May 20, 2009
  6. jane renwick

jane renwick

Re: Nautilus and/or Thunderbird

Thank you for this and as you advise caution. I think I'll leave things as they are for the moment, rather than risk (horror of HORROR), wiping myself off the system. I'll struggle along for the moment, in an effort to understand! When I get the message asking for Nautilus, I will let you know though. Thanks for now

jane renwick, May 21, 2009
Ask a Question