NAS mounted, can see listing, can write but can't read

Discussion in 'Linux' started by yannc, Mar 1, 2009.

1. yannc

yannc

Hello,
    I'm new to the forum, and new to the Acer world :)
    I got mine yesterday and the first thing I've done was the 10 tweaks.

I have an issue with one of them, mounting a NAS.
    I successfully mounted it using the command sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.1/disc0_3 Storage. I can now navigate through my NAS no problem.
    However, I'm running into 2 issues:
    - This mount goes away at reboot, so I have to run the command everytime. Is there a way to add it somewhere so my NAS get mounted automatically?
    - All the files on the NAS are write enabled (I can delete), I can create new folders but I cannot copy or read files (for instance I can't play a video).

main info: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    access_file error: cannot open file /mnt/home/Storage/share/Video/Fringe.S01E12.HDTV.XviD-NoTV.avi (Permission denied)
    main error: open of `/mnt/home/Storage/share/Video/Fringe.S01E12.HDTV.XviD-NoTV.avi' failed: could not create access: no suitable access module

What I have tried without success:
    - change the permissions of the video files to 666, to make sure that the problem is not related to privileges.
    - setup the SMB access module of VLC with the login/password informations of the NAS.

I'm stuck here...Anybody running videos from a NAS (samba shares) with the Acer One and Linpus?
    I should also mention that I have an http server on my NAS and I can play the fileswith VLC through HTTP just fine.

Cheers,
    Yann

yannc, Mar 1, 2009
  2. yannc

yannc

Anybody with the same problem?
    I also tried noonix on my mount command line, but it didn't change anything.
    I also tried to access my NAS using NFS instead of CIFS but it looks like support for NFS is quite limited on linpus (I couldn't get it to work).
    Thanks,
    Yann

yannc, Mar 2, 2009
  3. yannc

fweigel

Changing permission to "0666" isn't really doing much... (using chmod)

Try something like:

sudo mount -t cifs \
    //stargate.whatever.com/dirname /mnt/home/homedir \
    -o username=theuser -o password=thepassword \
    -o uid=500 -o gid=500 -o file_mode=00666

(all on one line, or with the backslashes to continue the line).

In a nutshell, mount the server/share with cifs to the mountpoint, passing the username/password as needed by share level security (you may not be using this), assigning the mounted files to user id 500, and group id 500 (which is the default user/group for linpus), and giving the files a /perceived/ permission of 0666.

As to redoing it on reboot -- I put all my mounts in a script that I run after startup (which I want the mounts).

fweigel, Mar 5, 2009
  4. yannc

yannc

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm pretty sure I already tried this command (without the file_mode parameter though). Maybe this will help. I will this a go after work and will let you know. My NAS is running on a Asus Wl500gP with Oleg's firmware.

Cheers,
    Yann

yannc, Mar 5, 2009
Ask a Question