my one wont turn on

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by liquidtwitch, Sep 15, 2008.

1. liquidtwitch

liquidtwitch

hi guys,
    i just put iatkos v4 on my one, install worked fine. decided to see if my spare netgear wg111v2 would work with it (it apparently can) after installing the official realtec drivers i was prompted to restart...

i did and it came up with a "you must hold down the powerkey and restart blah blah" message, did so. now it wont turn on..

the power light is on and i can hear the harddrive, but no sign of life besides that (ive tried with an external monitor), with and without ac power, removing the bat etc...

it's only four weeks old and ive not done anything to it besides but osx86 on it.. if acer finds osx on it will it void my warranty? what should i do??
    thanks heaps.

liquidtwitch, Sep 15, 2008
  2. liquidtwitch

hjongste

hjongste, Sep 15, 2008
  3. liquidtwitch

liquidtwitch

yo sir are my all time hero! thank you so much

4. liquidtwitch

liquidtwitch

any idea on what could have caused this?

5. liquidtwitch

hjongste

You can read all the threads on this topic, but I believe the consensus is that it is a BIOS bug. There are a few things (like starting up with an USB stick in the machine) that will wipe the BIOS.

hjongste, Sep 15, 2008
  6. liquidtwitch

Schmov17

yep, i've had this happen to mine. that tutorial was a godsend, i was about ready to RMA the sucker. i have a really old little 32meg flash drive that i just kept the bios on in case i need to jump start it ever again

Schmov17, Sep 20, 2008
  7. liquidtwitch

hjongste

Just out of interest? Which version of BIOS did you put back on the AA1? The original version (isn't that 3109?) or a new one that you downloaded?

hjongste, Sep 20, 2008
  8. liquidtwitch

liquidtwitch

ummm the 2nd latest bios release (the one with the fan problems) haven't upgraded to the most recent because of the supposed lack of brightness control.

liquidtwitch, Sep 21, 2008
  9. liquidtwitch

DHowett

I had this problem once, and the blog fixed it up right tidy.
    The next time this happened, though
    the one wouldn't even turn on. at all. on no combination of power sources.
    Nothing.
    Dead.

Taking out the CMOS battery fixed it; then i updated to the newest bios (3.3xx?)

Just thought i'd let you know in case something seemingly "more serious" happened.

DHowett, Sep 22, 2008
  10. liquidtwitch

zakfontaine

My One just did this. Am I following the directions correct? I renamed the 3304.fn to ZG5IA32.FD and put flashit.exe in the root directory. I then put the other files in there (tried once leaving them in a folder, then tried just putting them in the root). Is it possible that my thumb drive isn't capable of this? (U3 Cruzer Micro)

zakfontaine, Sep 23, 2008
  11. liquidtwitch

zakfontaine

Nevermind. I'm an idiot. I was trying to rename the bat file instead of the FD file. All is well. Installing vanilla kernel on my os x bricked my os x install and my bios. It was rebooting from that when it all went black. Good times. lol

zakfontaine, Sep 23, 2008
  12. liquidtwitch

dfiore

i bricked my first one and returned it not knowing that there was a known issue. i have now flashed my bios 5 or 6x due to bricking.

dave

dfiore, Sep 23, 2008
  13. liquidtwitch

vriesfde

Just in case the how-to article get's lost .....copied it over for safeguarding;

First format an USB stick with FAT.

Download the latest BIOS, and put both FLASHIT.EXE and the BIOS file in the root directory of the stick. Rename the BIOS file to ZG5IA32.FD, that's important. Do not remove the USB stick.

Turn the AA1 off, make sure both battery and AC adapter are connected. Press Fn+Esc, keep it pressed and press the power button to turn the AA1 on. Release Fn+Esc after a few seconds, the power button will be blinking. Press the power button once. The AA1 will now initiate the BIOS flash, do not interrupt it under any circumstances. After a while the power button will stop blinking, and the AA1 will reboot shortly after. Wait patiently.

The BIOS has been flashed and all settings reset to default.

If for some reason you made a mistake during the procedure and it doesn't reboot by itself wait 5 minutes before turning it off, just to be safe that it isn't still flashing the BIOS.

vriesfde, Sep 23, 2008
  14. liquidtwitch

liquidtwitch

good idea. anybody had any more severe problems with their one being bricked?

liquidtwitch, Sep 24, 2008
  15. liquidtwitch

vriesfde

Bricked my new 110 after only 2 days trying to install XP....Good thing was I returned it and bought myself the 120GB harddisk model ;)
    Now happily running XP and OSX!

Frans

vriesfde, Sep 24, 2008
  16. liquidtwitch

oinquer

mine A110L has XP and 1 week...don't know which Bios version it has ...didn't touched it..hoping it wont give me the trouble of flashing it to unbrick

oinquer, Sep 24, 2008
Ask a Question