My ONE went into some kind of coma...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ernestoo, Nov 18, 2008.

1. ernestoo

ernestoo

Ok. I´m not sure if this is the right place for my post. If not let me now and i´ll change it.

I received my One a few weeks ago. After a lot of reading (i still feel like i don´t know anything :lol: ) i started to customize it. Added 1 GB of RAM. Worked great! Thanks Tankgirl!!!

Then i started to change the Desktop to the XFCE version. Everything went fine. I got my Desktop with Firefox and Audacity on it. XFCE Menu Button in the bar on the bottom. Removed the Acer search bar. Made the home key on my keyboard work and speeded the SSD read/write up.
    Using all the information i could find here! Love it!!! :cool:

Everything was great until i decided to switch from Firefox to Opera because i´ve read that Opera is suppused to be faster and there is a Bitorrent-Client included.
    I wanted to keep the system as clean as possible with no unnecessary apps installed so i thought let´s remove Firefox before i install Opera... :roll:

After rebooting all i got was the Desktop, black, with the bar at the bottom. XFCE menu button has gone and the home-key-icon has changed. I can´t open a terminal via Alt+F2. Nothing happens. There is no obvious possibility to get to the system...for me. :D

During the installation i think i remember Thunar updating... Maybe that´s a part of the problem?

Is it possible to repair my configuration with a bootable USB Live Stick with something like Xubuntu on it?

Thanks for your help!!!

Cheers

ernestoo, Nov 18, 2008
  2. ernestoo

RockDoctor

You may have inadvertantly removed more than Firefox - or at least broken Linpus-only scripts that depend on Firefox. Firefox should be reinstallable. Basically, you'll have to download the firefox rpm file from the Fedora 8 repository, boot from a live USB stick, mount the Linpus partition, copy the rpm to it, then chroot to it and install the rpm. Or, you can just install the an XFCE-based version of your favorite distro from a live USB stick. I've worked with both a Fedora XFCEspin and Xubuntu; either (and there are probably others, too) should work just fine

RockDoctor, Nov 19, 2008
  3. ernestoo

ernestoo

Hey RockDoctor!
    Thanks for answering!

Well, i downloaded Xubuntu 8.04Live (i used it before, but since i´m not very familiar with Linux yet i changed it back to Linpus) and the Firefox RPM from the Fedora 8 Repos. Of course i can boot and use Xubuntu but i wasn´t able to mount the SSD... :oops:
    Xubuntu tells me something like it can´t find it under /etc/something... Sorry, i´m not very precise...
    How do i mount the SSD?
    And excuse my english but what did you mean by "chroot"? Does it mean something like "change" and "root"?

Thanks very much!!!

Cheers

ernestoo, Nov 19, 2008
  4. ernestoo

ernestoo

Ok. I just found out what /etc/fstab is for... :D

I´m on it.

ernestoo, Nov 19, 2008
  5. ernestoo

ernestoo

OK!

I´ve managed to mount the SSD and i´ve copied the Firefox RPM into a folder that says "RPM". I hope that´s the right one. By now i also know how to "chroot" :roll: but i can´t remember how to install the Package...
    So if someone would explain that to me please. I think i can handle the rest....I think i can, i think i can!! ;)

Alright. I should be learning for a test tomorrow...

Thanks for helping me!

Cheers

ernestoo, Nov 19, 2008
  6. ernestoo

RockDoctor

Open a terminal window <Alt>-F2
    sudo chroot xxx (where xxx is the mountpoint of your SSD)
    cd rpm-dir (where rpm-dir is the directory containing your rpm file)
    rpm -ivh rpm-file-name (where rpm-file-name is the name of the rpm file)

If you get a message about unsatisfied dependencies, then download them too. With all the rpm files in one place and no other files in that place, you can type
    Code:
    rpm -ivh *.rpm
    and they will all be installed in the proper sequence

RockDoctor, Nov 19, 2008
  7. ernestoo

ernestoo

:(

When i tried to install Firefox it told me that there were some dependencies missing. Like you said. But when i added the missing packages ten more are required for the other packages to work...

Can you tell me the exact Version of Firefox that Linpus uses or is this not relevant?

Thanks!

ernestoo, Nov 20, 2008
  8. ernestoo

RockDoctor

Looks like a customized version: firefox-2.0.0.14-20080612.fc8.acer

RockDoctor, Nov 21, 2008
  9. ernestoo

ernestoo

Hm...

Couldn´t find any package named like this. Seems like i will have to do a reset and learn how to create backups! ;)

At least i could rescue my data with starting from the live usb-stick and mounting the partition.

Thank you very much for your help! I learned a lot! :D

Cheers

ernestoo, Nov 21, 2008
Ask a Question