MY LAPTOP RUNS DAMN SLOW

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by majorc, Jun 8, 2016.

1. majorc

majorc

my laptop runs veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slow and i want to change another one. do you think whether i should change it or seek help to the repaired staff? every time i turn it on, it gets hots and takes long time to run a first operation. and the power loses very easy, i need to charge it first and wait a moment to turn it on, and if i don't charge for a short time it will shut down unless i charge it.... i'm gonna be crazy!!

majorc, Jun 8, 2016
  2. majorc

something back

Welcome to the laptop-forums site

There are many things that can cause a laptop to overheat, the main one is the
    vents,and fan can become blocked with fluff.

Blowing out the vents with a compressed air can,can help remove the fluff and dust.

The other problems can be, if a laptop has over heated for a very long time then
    the heat dispersing solution ( thermal grease ) can dry up.

If a laptop runs to hot then this could be the cause of it running very slow

Thermal grease is applied to the top of the C.P.U. And graphic gpu chips.

something back, Jun 8, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. majorc

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Some thing no-one seems to mention on here...
    Despite being called a laptop - it should NOT be sat on your LAP (knees) when in use....
    NOR should it be used on A BED (Blankets or sheets) - nor on the FLOOR CARPET

EVERY ONE of the above places you put your Laptop - BLOCKS the vents (the places where cool air SHOULD be being sucked in) - to help cool the CPU.

if you want to use your Laptop ON your Lap, please get a flat piece of wood or thick plastic for instance your Mum/Wife's Bread board and sit it ON TOP of that.

I hope this helps to cure many of the problems of overheating...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jun 8, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  4. majorc

sparkster

Absolutely, I reiterate what was said above. Make sure you're not blocking the vents when you're using it as that can cause it to overheat. When it overheats it may slow down to a crawl. Also sounds like you have a lot of programs loading up when you start the computer up. You need to check which programs are set to start automatically. Clearing out temporary files (cookies, cache, etc), removing unwanted files and performing a disk cleanup and defragmentation of the hard drive may also help. If it works better after doing that, you may want to think about getting a new battery for it. If there's no improvement then it might be time for a new computer.

sparkster, Jun 9, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  5. majorc

IcyBC

Your laptop sounds like my old HP was, and if you can't afford to buy a new one, I would seek the repair shop unless you know how to do what @something back said.

All three advices from the above are very useful and I hope it will help you solve the problem.

IcyBC, Jun 9, 2016
  6. majorc

acheno84

I never understood why it was a called a laptop when it's not that at all. It's not meant to be there for a long time at least because the fan blockage for sure. My laptop will actually get so hot and will literally zap my leg if its on my lap for longer than 15 minutes. I've just accepted that It's a portable desktop.

Anyway, definitely blow out the fan, I just had the same thing happen to my desk top and the dust that was built up was outrageous. Since my computers are used for work purposes, I have actually set a reminder for myself to clean the fans out at least once a month to avoid having these issues again. Try that before you look into getting a new one or getting that fixed. A $4 can of duster can save you hundreds of dollars.

acheno84, Jun 9, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  7. majorc

ZoeZoundBarrier

The same thing was happening to me but I figured that the usual problem would be the fact that I had too many items on my mac that were the causes of why it wasn’t up to speed. My suggestion is that you get an external hard drive that can contain about a terabyte of memory usage. You have to clean out your laptop because there are so many extra files that you never intended to be taking up space on it. If you can upgrade the operation system in the process then please dos. After using external drive, clouds, fileshares, emails etc. I was able to see a great improvement in the speed in fact it works just like new now.

ZoeZoundBarrier, Jun 12, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. majorc

sparkster

Kind of like the name "tablet" isn't it? Why is it called a tablet? Because the word "tablet" is short for "table-top", that's why! And yet most people don't even lay their tablets down flat on a table, even though that's where the word originated and that's what the original idea was. So, laptops are not really laptops and tablets are not really tablets. We are being deceived!

sparkster, Jun 13, 2016
  9. majorc

Corzhens

This thread reminds me of our old laptop which could be a winner in a race of turtles and snails. It takes more than 2 minutes to start up, from booting up to the appearance of the Windows icon. You can imagine the slowness when it comes to the internet access. The tech in the office said the processor is slow, being old, and the memory is small. Also, the hard disk is old and probably also slow. In short, we were advised to abandon using it and just buy a new laptop. That's the story of our old laptop.

Corzhens, Jun 15, 2016
  10. majorc

SirJoe

It sounds too me that your computer is getting a bit long in the tooth. It's normal for computers to get slower the older they get but there are still things that you can do that can keep your computer running at a faster rate. If it's over heating it probably means that the CPU fan is clogged. The fact that your computer takes forever to start is probably a software problem. Try formatting it and installing a light operating system. I can assure you, there is probably still some life in the old girl yet.

SirJoe, Jun 15, 2016
  11. majorc

majorc

thank you. i have asked my friend to format it and i will ask him to check the problem of the cpu fan. it's kind of you, thx~

majorc, Jun 23, 2016
  12. majorc

majorc

thank you, and i have been thinking whether i should buy a new one(apple laptop), but i seldom turn on my laptop and apple laptop is not that cheap for me anyway..

majorc, Jun 23, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  13. majorc

majorc

got it, thank you. but by that way, it's comfortable, i will try best to get rid of this bad habit

majorc, Jun 23, 2016
  14. majorc

majorc

you all are very kind the enthusiastic, i'm busy to reply all. all in all, thank you all! ^^

majorc, Jun 23, 2016
  15. majorc

vinaya

If you have been using the same laptop for a long time, it is common for a laptop to become slow and heat fast. I am using mine since 7 years, my laptop is also slow and has over heating problem. However, if your laptop is relatively new still is slow and has over heating problem you need to trouble shoot your laptop. If battery back up is your problem, you can replace the battery.

vinaya, Jun 25, 2016
  16. majorc

Vash

I do not think you can use your veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slow laptop to "change" another one. You can sell it, and buy another one.
    Or if you still want to give it a chance, then you may want to find the problem beyond the slowness. Most problems can be fixed by a clean installation of the OS. As for the battery drain, your battery might have been too old and overused. You need a new battery in this case.

Vash, Jun 25, 2016
  17. majorc

rz3300

Well I am sure that we have all been there before, and as the frustration grows and grown, you just know that the options are running out. I would hope that you can find some answers to get repairs done, but in my experience sometimes it is just easier and better to accept the loss and go get yourself a new one. You will forget about it once you are playing around on your new device and checking out all the features...it helps to ease the pain of spending some money.

rz3300, Jun 25, 2016
  18. majorc

majorc

i bought it when i came to college, it has been 4 years now...

majorc, Jun 27, 2016
  19. majorc

majorc

thank you, i will check fisrt to see whether the problem can be solved. if now, i will go buy new one and sell the old one, but the old one i think just can sell a lottle money.

majorc, Jun 27, 2016
  20. majorc

majorc

yeah, i wanna a new one, however, the new laptop i wanna buy is a little expensive to me, so i should carefully consider it, and most important, i seldom use my laptop..

majorc, Jun 27, 2016
Ask a Question