My laptop is slow

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Davienna, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Davienna

Davienna

I bought a HP notebook laptop a few months ago and it is extremely slow. I have tried everything but nothing seems to be working. I purchased through a store in Jamaica, a very small business that is, hence the reason for my delay in returning it to HP. I even contacted their support but they can't seem to tell what could be the possible cause for this and my WIFI connection is high speed.
    What could be the possible reason for this, since the day I bought it?

Davienna, Jul 25, 2016
  2. Davienna

cluckeyo

My last laptop was really slow. AVG has a program called PC Tune-up. I put that on and it is worth the money. It performs a lot of optimizing tasks. One of the neatest things it does is to temporarily disable programs so that they are not running in the background. When you need the program, you can still pull it up really fast. But this feature makes the laptop light as air and it completely resolved my slow computer problem!

cluckeyo, Jul 25, 2016
  3. Davienna

Davienna

I have tried that as well but I guess it's just the model or something. It is really frustrating so I have decided to sell it.

Davienna, Jul 25, 2016
  4. Davienna

Corzhens

Have you tested running your laptop without the wifi? That would at least isolate the case. I think you have to check the programs (or applications) that are installed in your laptop. Check for programs that are updating by itself. Our home desktop has an AVG which updates itself regardless of the setting so we disconnect the internet when we boot the computer otherwise it will slow down because of the updating by AVG.

Corzhens, Jul 25, 2016
  5. Davienna

IcyBC

IcyBC, Jul 25, 2016
  6. Davienna

lorastuward

Try to use optimization tool like OSToto PC Speeder. If it can't help you, I think the best way is reinstalling the system!

lorastuward, Jul 28, 2016
  7. Davienna

Norjak71

While a lot of people will suggest speed boosters and anti-virus programs may I suggest something I use that helps a ton. The program is called Ccleaner and basically what it does is it's a program that deletes all your cookies, your cache, stored data (only for websites). There is also a option for a registry cleaner as well which will delete unused file extensions after you delete a program that hang around and clutter up your main drive. After that, download advanced system care, the free version, this will act as a very low-end anti-virus but more importantly will act as a speed booster and shut down unnecessary programs in the background that you aren't using. It has has a turbo-boost option if you are a gamer that will free up lots of ram for you.

Norjak71, Jul 28, 2016
  8. Davienna

judyd1

We had an HP notebook given to us and it had issues as well. It would take forever to boot up and then be very slow. I mean, slower than dial-up, if that's even possible! Some days we thought it wasn't even going to boot up --the screen would stay black so long.

We tried taking it to the computer repair guy, but he wanted over $100 to restore factory settings and do a virus fix.

He told us that one of the problems was that it needed more memory, that it should never have been used to play so many games, as that takes up so much space and space on a laptop is finite.

We decided just to bury the thing, figuring it was too old to revive.

judyd1, Jul 28, 2016
  9. Davienna

obliviousme

You probably just need to run a scan. Malwarebytes is a good program that digs up your computer system for malicious threats. It does the job well.

obliviousme, Aug 1, 2016
  10. Davienna

Fuzyon

Well, in what way is your laptop slow? Are you talking about the connection or the speed of your laptop? I would probably upgrade to Windows 10 if you haven't already, maybe there are some compatibility issues you're encountering. If your laptop ran fine before then it's possible you caught a virus, run a scan to make sure.

Fuzyon, Aug 1, 2016
  11. Davienna

acerme2

One of the fixes I encountered was to increase the virtual memory of the laptop which can be done on settings in the control panel. My laptop is an entry level laptop so it needs every help it can get. I also clean the cookies regularly. This is important because I do online banking on my laptop and I don't want spy software to snip important information. You may also check what anti-virus software you are using because some can actually slow your system down.

acerme2, Aug 6, 2016
  12. Davienna

nicky.b

Could you post your laptops Make and model? Sometimes it being slow is just the laptop being itself. Some hardware is worse than others. Also, have you checked for bloatwear? Was this laptop bought pre-owned or new? Can you explain what it is slow at? Is it slow at starting? Reading files? Internet browsing? What Browser do you use? Have you checked for malicious viruses?

There are plenty of reasons for your laptop to be slow, but if you answer these questions I'm positive I can help you.

nicky.b, Aug 13, 2016
Ask a Question