My hands are shaking

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Anbert, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Anbert

Anbert

I just received my one 110 back from acer repair because the screen blanked at a batterylevel of 70%. They reflashed and reinstalled which i could have done myself but those damn roms.... But whatever....

It worked fine so I took my best screwdrivers and was about to open up my acer to install a kinkston 1gb ram module. After I lifted the mainboard my hands started to shake. I inserted the RAM but not checking if it was firm enough. I closed it up and... no ram and no SDD....

I opened it up again and man that tiny cable saying MB is a real bitch.... I pushed on my ram a little harder and closed it up.... All fine but NO USB!!! It did nog recognize my USB-CDrom to install XP... I thought i fucked up.... (still shaking)

I inserted a USB memorystick and it lighted up nicely, I powered off and on my CD-Rom and.... Pfffffff, it's working.... Now im hoping my wifi still works because it had to be removed also...

I took a big lesson out of this. I bought 512Mb of ram and it's will still fit my needs... but i got greedy surely voiding the warranty after receiving it from repair 1 day later.... I'm still a bit shaking while drinking a beer now... I want my wifi to work and I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN!!! :(

Anbert, Aug 29, 2008
  2. Anbert

atarione

yikes...good luck

honestly I'm pretty content w/ my A110 and my experiences taking a thinkpad apart in the past have left me pretty content to leave well enough alone for now my AAO... I've got everything I need working, working w/ linpus and since linpus runs fine w/ the 512MB I'm just going to fight my geek nerd to disassemble this thing and just enjoy it (working) as it is :D

meh... maybe in a few months curiosity will get the best of me.... the cables / other bits look a bit fragile however... I'd be bummmmmmmmed if I broke the damn thing trying to mess about w/ it.

the thinkpad I took apart was already broke so... nothing to lose really (fixed it actually) but it was a bit nerve racking, I have no fear building / messing about w/ desktops but laptops are a totally different beast.

atarione, Aug 30, 2008
  3. Anbert

Anbert

I've got more then 10 years experience in IT including a lot of repairing... But this was just so fragile.... And i slipped the screwdriver once and slided over the back of the mainboard.... I think i started getting scared at that point... I just remembered that typing this.... I installed a stripped version of xp but it did not load the services needed for wireless but it found the wifi card in the device manager. I could see the light blink shortly every 2 seconds orso but nog wifi's found. I'm now using the recovery CD and it should take me 10 minutes to find out if i have to open it again... I'm very tired and i need to get out at 7 again....

Anbert, Aug 30, 2008
  4. Anbert

perdurabo

I damaged my keyboard during a memory upgrade of my AA1. I called up Acer and was honest with my situation and asked how much it would cost to buy a replacement keyboard. The nice, native English-speaking lady told me that it's under warranty and I could exchange it free for a new unit, which I did successfully.

This favor Acer did me pretty much guarantees I'll continue being a customer of theirs. Try getting Dell to do this with the basic warranty plan.

perdurabo, Aug 30, 2008
  5. Anbert

Anbert

I have to open it up.... led is on but no wifi listed in linpus.... ohoh

*edit* never mind, i'm to tired to think straight. its not reporting wifi until you add a connection.. happy now! :lol:

Anbert, Aug 30, 2008
  6. Anbert

atarione

it is pretty amazing that acer has seemed to be pretty generous on the ol' warranty coverage of these things.

otoh they could have probably saved themselves a whole lot of service calls with a memory upgrade door :D

atarione, Aug 30, 2008
  7. Anbert

billr

Hi
    That's a very near miss what luck you got out of it! I used to do tinkering with stuff too, years ago.

Now I am of the opinion 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' These companies do go through alot of QA and design/research all sorts of stuff to bring these lovely little netbooks to us. As the tech has got better and better you can get yourself some really smart bits of kit..like the AA1 very clever stuff when you think about it.

I suppose you could say make 'em faster more power etc etc when was the last time you bought a PC with a 1.6hz chip? lol like years ago!! so yes...make it faster :D

billr, Aug 30, 2008
  8. Anbert

iMav

I had no issues upgrading the ram in my AA1. Just take your time and be careful. (watching tnkgrl's video was quite helpful)

I'm of the opinion that if I buy something, I am going to do with it whatever I please. If I break something, that's on me.

iMav, Aug 30, 2008
  9. Anbert

Anbert

I just finished a game of World of Warcraft which surely did not run that nice with 512Mb of RAM. When i look through the pics and vids of how to install the RAM it seems that they used a lot more of that yellow tape and the thin cable to the LCD also looked different. The flatcable to the SDD was so touhg it stayed under the mainbord when i put it back and i had a really hard time reconnecting that... it now has a little extra fold in it so i left a mark for denying my warrenty in the future.I'm happy with the etxtra ram but it feels like i shortened the life of my one 110 by a year...

Anbert, Aug 30, 2008
Ask a Question