My Asus Zenbook UX535, is having battery issues alongside possible issues with overheating

Discussion in 'Asus' started by LapDaddy24, Apr 21, 2023.

1. LapDaddy24

LapDaddy24

I have had an Asus Zenbook UX535 for just over a year now, the battery health report is attatched below. As of the time of writing the cycle count is 108. The design charge capacity is 96,002, whereas the actual full charge capacity is 30,119, so my battery health is a shocking 31.4%. Whilst writing this the battery health is decreased from full charge to 40% over the course of around 30 minutes (It says that I only have 21 minutes of life left.

I mainly use it for work, alongside some light gaming, i.e League, Overwatch. The most intensive things that I have had done on this laptop have probably been 4k video editing and gaming on on high graphics settings (Elden Ring and Hitman 3.) Though these were normally done plugged in, and not for long periods.

I carried out the MyASUS customer support diagnostics, and that also said "there may be an issue with my battery", though it provided no further infomation.

Furthermore, though maybe unrelated, my laptop tends to overheat quite easily, reaching temperatures as high as 100 °C, whilst doing nothing too major, this also causes the fans to run quite loudly. In recent times I have gotten a cooling pad, to help cool my laptop, as otherwise during certain applications such as Overatch, After Effects and sometimes even web browsing, my laptop randomly black screens and crashes. Though the crash reports here are not too helpful. I have cleared out the side ports where the laptops exhausts are with condensed air, and there does not seem to be any blockages.

Are there any further checks that I should carry out? Is it time that I replace the battery? and if so what would be the best way to go about this, I am based in the UK at the moment, and from what I have seen online there are no ASUS repair centres near to me.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Attached Files:

LapDaddy24, Apr 21, 2023
  2. LapDaddy24

Carloz

According to the health report, the battery capacity is not dropped suddenly, a battery replacement is needed.
    The capacity decrease could cause by poor quality battery cell, personal usage habit, or operation system environment.

There are some recommandations for laptop battery usage:

1. Use official battery life optimization program, a high charge level will reduce battery life quickly
    In MyAsus app -> Customization -> Power & Performance tab -> Battery Health Charging => Select "Maximum lifespan mode",
    it will start charge at battery level < 58% and stop at 60%. (depend on lapop model).

2. Overheat is a battery killer, use a cooling pad can helps, but not enough.
    When you get a new laptop, it has a lot of preinstalled apps & programs,
    try to uninstall apps you don't use and replace it with same programs with a clean install.
    If you has experience of install operation system, try to resize and create a new hardisk partition, install a second Windows System as multiple boot from a thumb disk, install all program you need manually, disable function you don't use currently.

3. Windows Update will change your system, but not always helps, try to disable/delay it when you don't have any system problems.

4. Drivers don't compatiable with hardware could cause high CPU usage, Windows Update will install the correct driver automatically, but sometimes it didn't, try to download and install driver from laptop official website.

5.UX535 support hardware decode for 4K videos, if it's keeping high CPU usage when you were watching videos, the hardware decode was not working, try to reinstall GPU drivers and try different video player.

Carloz, Apr 22, 2023
Ask a Question