my Aspire One is almost ready to go...

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by sapphireblue6cell, Jan 8, 2009.

1. sapphireblue6cell

sapphireblue6cell

I just need some help with the following things (I'd search, but right now I'm using the school WIFI, which is so slow it takes 5 minutes to load a single page)...

1) I want to install Ubuntu Linux and have the choice of either Ubuntu or XP to start up when I turn on my computer. I have the Ubuntu CD and an external disc drive. How would I get to doing that?

2) I decided to install Ubuntu Linux on a 15gb partition that I'll create out of my main 160gb drive. I know how create a partition, but there are a few different choices that XP presents when you're attempting to create a partition. Which do I choose?

3) I have XP Home but would like to upgrade to Pro. My sister has the XP Pro disc, can I use that or would I have to use an upgrade CD?

4) Concerning security, I have AVG Free installed. In addition, I have Firefox 3 with Adblock Plus and Web of Trust. Is that enough, or should I add another program such as AdBlock or Spybot?

Thanks a bunch :) :)

sapphireblue6cell, Jan 8, 2009
  2. sapphireblue6cell

SueWNY

Searching the boards and posting in the Linux section would probably prove helpful.

SueWNY, Jan 8, 2009
  3. sapphireblue6cell

Tamrac

Installing Ubuntu would require you to still do a number of things to get most (not all) of the features working.

XP Home is just as good as Pro. Pro will not give you any advantages on the AAO, unless you plan to setup EWF. You can use your sisters XP Pro disc, and her serial w/c is illegal, but who cares.

AVG will be enough... it's how you use your computer that will determine if you get infected or not. If you download alot of illegal stuff or surf on shady websites, then most likely you will get viruses. If not, then AVG will be more than sufficient. Cheers.

Tamrac, Jan 8, 2009
  4. sapphireblue6cell

triswords

1&2] If you have never installed Ubuntu before you might want to try on another computer first before attempting to set up the computer to be able to dual boot. You can use the ubuntu live option to resize your hard drive. After that youll have to create your partitions using the installer(youll need a swap and a / partition at least). After that youll have to finish the installed you will have to do a few things on Ubuntu to get it working correctly. Read the link below for more information.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

Also, modifying the OS's on the machine might void the warranty of the laptop (not 100% sure others might be able to help here). Just a heads up.

4] A malware/spyware scanning program is useful to have on any computer. I would recommend Malwarebytes, seems to find the most things when I use it but anything you can run to scan with is better than nothing.

triswords, Jan 9, 2009
Ask a Question