My Acer Aspire One with Linux won't rescan for wireless

Discussion in 'Linux' started by MermaidBaby, Mar 30, 2009.

1. MermaidBaby

MermaidBaby

Hello Acer and Linux users! I'd like to ask for some help, if I may. I recently purchased an Acer Aspire One Netbook with Linpus Linux operating system. I (?stupidly) deleted all the wireless connections it found upon scanning to prevent me from inadvertently 'piggy backing'. However, I seem to have inadvertently deleted myself and cannot find diddly-squat on further scanning. I am now locked out of the internet aside from my work computer where I am now typing from. I'd like to be able to surf in wireless enabled areas too at some point in the future.

Does anybody know what I've done and how I could remedy this situation? Thank you hugely!

MermaidBaby, Mar 30, 2009
  2. MermaidBaby

barrie

Hi MermaidBaby,

No idea what you might have done but if you have only done a few mods or added a couple of applications the quickest thing to do is use the rescue disk and create a rescue USB stick then take the Netbook back to new out of the box condition and start again.

In all this should only take you 1 hour from start to finish. :)

barrie, Mar 31, 2009
  3. MermaidBaby

MermaidBaby

Hello Barrie,

Thank you so much for your reply! I tried with my usual laptop to transfer the files from the recovery disk to a Sandisk flashdrive and booting it that way to restore to factory settings. It wouldn't work though I was following the instructions to the letter. I was then told that apparently this is because it has no partition. :-s

I'm wondering if I can therefore restore it with an external disk drive? Do you think it would work that way? If so, that's me £60 down. I am however within the 30 days Acer warranty so I wonder if they would restore it for me...

Thank you so much for trying to help. I've been overlooked everywhere else I asked!

Best,

Mermaid Baby

MermaidBaby, Mar 31, 2009
  4. MermaidBaby

barrie

Hi Mermaid Baby,

I used a Kingston 8GB stick and had no issues, have a look here re instructions.
    viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7412
    But if you still have problems please post back.

barrie, Mar 31, 2009
  5. MermaidBaby

MermaidBaby

Hi Barrie,

Oooh, this is looking interesting! I'll get on to it and let you know!

Thanks!

Mermaid Baby

MermaidBaby, Mar 31, 2009
  6. MermaidBaby

barrie

Hi Mermaid Baby,

Yes please keep us posted, as I said it should take you no more than an hour from the time you start to make the rescue stick to havein your Acer back to as new out of the box condition.

barrie, Mar 31, 2009
  7. MermaidBaby

MermaidBaby

Hiya barrie,

Only just got round to getting a memory stick sorted. Have managed to boot my usual laptop (HP 6735s with Vista) from the disk and selected Create Recovery USB Drive. It then went to the next screen with what looks like a bar and only the first tiny bit highlighted and nothing happens. The disk eventually stops whirring (after about 30 seconds) and all is quiet and spookily still. I've left it for half an hour and still nothing. :lol:

Is there something I'm doing wrong :roll:

Thanks so much,

In anticipation,

MermaidBaby :?

MermaidBaby, Apr 2, 2009
  8. MermaidBaby

barrie

Hi MermaidBaby,

So things stopped at the Acer Recovery Management Screen, please try again and if it still fails are you able to use a friends PC running XP Pro or Home. Maybe this is a Vista security protocol issue I am not sure. :?

barrie, Apr 2, 2009
  9. MermaidBaby

MermaidBaby

Hiya barrie,

I know someone with XP, will do! Have also read in your link on here that someone had to try a few computers first. It could be the Vista issue I imagine. Thanks for the heads up. I will certainly let you know. Thank you hugely!

MB

MermaidBaby, Apr 4, 2009
  10. MermaidBaby

barrie

Hi MB,

Over the last two days I have tried three time on a friends PC running Vista with a failed result, :? but have just made two USB recovery sticks on my desktop running XP home with no problem. It is strange indeed.

barrie, Apr 5, 2009
  11. MermaidBaby

MermaidBaby

Hey barrie,

I tried on an XP yesterday with the same 'frozen' result - however it was one out of the ark, so I'm hoping that was the problem. I'm taking everything down to our local internet cafe/computer maintenance shop tomorrow to see if they can get a result as they have differing operating systems on various computers there. Fingers crossed, third time lucky! Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers for reply!

MB

MermaidBaby, Apr 5, 2009
  12. MermaidBaby

MermaidBaby

Hi barrie,

Success! I went to the local internet cafe/computer repair shop and spoke with the guys in there. By the end of the night we had everyone in the shop scratching their heads over it. They tried to make a recovery USB (excuse my terminology if it's wrong, I'm not too fabulous when it comes to computers!) to no avail. We tried different computers with different operating systems and differing flash drives. Eventually they used an external disk drive and restored it to factory settings that way. After a nail biting few moments at the final reboot we all breathed a sigh of relief when it scanned for connections perfectly. None of us had any idea why we couldn't get the flash drive option to work as I can see on the forums that it has worked well for so many people.

I can't thank you enough for your patience, information and the fabulously detailed instructions you linked to. I was absolutely tearing my hair out thinking I'd spent a couple of hundred on a piece of a equipment that I was never going to be able to use. And all I owe the techno guys in the cafe is a smoothie each and a coconut (one of them asked for a coconut - go figure??). Thank you hugely, happy computing! Hope to visit the forum again at some point in the future (under slightly less fraught circumstances).

Best wishes,

Mermaid Baby :D

MermaidBaby, Apr 7, 2009
  13. MermaidBaby

barrie

Hi Mermaid Baby,

This is great news, :) as it solved your original problem and thanks for this feed back I am very pleased all is well now.
    And yes its very strange why some have no problems creating the USB rescue stick yet like you many do. :?

barrie, Apr 7, 2009
Ask a Question