My AAO no longer detects my home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by drahcir, Sep 16, 2008.

1. drahcir

drahcir

Hi everyone,

I just bought my AAO five days ago and the wireless was working just fine after I had set up my home network security password to the AAO. No drops in connection or anything of the sort. It was perfect. During this period I always had it plugged into the power supply, until last night when I decided to try out its battery power. Turned it on without the power supply and everything was fine. The wireless was working impeccably. When I was done, I turned it off. Next time around, I plugged the power supply back into the AAO, powered it on, and the wireless no longer detected my home network. The wifi still works because I see the usual networks, unsecured, around my area showing up on the list of networks available (I tried connecting to one of these unsecured networks briefly just to make sure my wifi was actually still working, and it was); however, my secured, unbroadcasted, network which worked without a hitch prior to my usage without the power supply was no longer detectable by my AAO. And I hadn't tampered with any settings at all.

I really don't want to change my home network settings. I have it shared, unbroadcasted, with a WEP security password, and I would prefer it stay that way. It's just odd that the AAO would suddenly stop detecting it after it worked perfectly before I began using the unit through the battery. Could it be something that happened during its battery-powered state? I already changed the Power Save Mode on the network card to "Normal" that I read in another thread, but it didn't solve my problem. Any help or guidance to the appropriate thread would be much appreciated. Thanks.

drahcir, Sep 16, 2008
  2. drahcir

rowantree

Mine did this also and I noticed that I had to switch the AA1 on first and then the router (if the router was on first already then the AA1 it just didn't play). So...

I just changed my router to broadcast the SSID again and all is fine.

(I have WPA and MAC address filtering also anyway, so broadcasting the SSID is OK unless you're ultra-paranoid...)

Cheers,
    Rowantree

rowantree, Sep 16, 2008
  3. drahcir

drahcir

Thanks Rowantree! I will try this tonight. If it does work for me, it will be a bit unfortunate that I would have to broadcast my network even if it is password protected. Then again you don't really know who's watching those networks and what they can do. Oh well.

drahcir, Sep 17, 2008
  4. drahcir

rowantree

Try and bump up to WPA while you're at it, it's more secure than WEP...

rowantree, Sep 17, 2008
Ask a Question