My AAO crashs/shutdowns once windows XP loads

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by CommunistMessiah, Jan 7, 2009.

1. CommunistMessiah

CommunistMessiah

Hi. I haven't really been able to find a post/thread that matches my exact problem so i decided to make one. I've had my AAO for a couple of weeks now, and this the first problem I've run into. The net-book will no longer stay. It boots fine, straight into windows with no problems. The window hour glass pops up for sec while it's loading, than the AAO powers down. This isn't a normal windows shutdown, it just clicks and turns off, blank screen, nothing. I've tried reseting the battery with no success, and it doesn't stay on long enough for me to do anything the BIOS. I fear that an rma is imminent for my net book. I am hoping that it does not resort to that, any help or suggestions regarding this issue would greatly be appreciated.

CommunistMessiah, Jan 7, 2009
  2. CommunistMessiah

Daevo

I'm having exactly the same problem - a few seconds after XP boots, it just turns off immediately with a slight click sound.

It seems to turn off at a point determined by elapsed time since startup rather than what stage of the boot process it's at since if I go into the BIOS setup 1st, it stops & turns itself off halfway through XP boot cycle rather than after it finishes as noirmally happens. I was going to attempt to reset to factory default using ALT+F10 but that time lag made me wary so I left the system sitting at the final 'do you want to proceed screen' for a while to make sure it wasn't going to shut down during the process....lucky I was cautious because it shut itself down in this state so whatever the cause, it does not seem software related.

I've put in a support request to Acer & fully expect it will have to go back. I'll post back what happens.

Daevo, Jan 8, 2009
  3. CommunistMessiah

CommunistMessiah

Hello, thanks for the reply. I haven't made any progress since making my post, and i also feel that i will have to send it back. I think the problem has something to do with overheating, and the AAO is shutdown out of self preservation. I've had desktops behave in a similar fashion, but this would be an odd/extreme case. Most of my desktops shutdown or crash when attempting some labor intensive chore, like video games (HL2, WHO, WoW, etc...) or initially at boot up. But the fact that this only began to happen recently kinda negates this idea. Either way i will also keep the updates coming.

CommunistMessiah, Jan 9, 2009
  4. CommunistMessiah

swankmunk

Wow, this is fairly strange that we are all experiencing this issue at this date. I think its a fan/overheating issue. It seems that a determined amount of time that the computer has been booted, or once it hits a certain temperature the comp will shut down. The fan that used to be pretty audible is now nowhere to be heard. Im actually travelling in another country so Im hoping that this ITM works!

Is everyone else running windows xp home? Maybe a new update has killed us.

swankmunk, Jan 9, 2009
  5. CommunistMessiah

Daevo

My unit is working normally again. I did nothing do it since my last test the previous day....it was simply sitting on my desk so on a whim I turned it on & when I looked at it a few minutes later I was surprised to see the Windows desktop still displayed. I tried running a few applications then gave it a pretty thorough load test with a defrag & antivirus scan but not a hiccup. I also rebooted several times on both battery & AC power & it's working perfectly.

While I'm relieved to have it working again, it is frsutrating not knoiwing if this issue is gone for good or can crop up again at any time.

The overtemp cutout does seem a likely cause of it shutting off after a set amount of time (I had the same thing happen with an old desktop I built & forgot to connect the CPU fan on....d'oh). I've been trying to think of what might have triggered the problem. When it first shut off on me, it was loading some drivers for a mobile phone USB connection which made me think of some horrible OS issue but I don't think that was a factor since it subsequently shut down on me while attemptng to recover to factory defaults & it sometimes didn't get far into the boot cycle if I'd played with BIOS settings 1st. The other thing that happened just prior to the original failure was that I travelled with it for the 1st time so it got a bit more of a buffeting than it had previously experienced....no major bumps or falls mind you but it was in & out of planes, trains & automobiles. I did use it in transit & again just briefly when I got to my destination but then it failed so I guess it's possible the fan had stuck or something while being transported that caused it to overheat.

Daevo, Jan 10, 2009
  6. CommunistMessiah

micahr18

Yes I have same issue with my Aspire One. It gets just about to the Windows logon screen then clicks and shuts off with no warning. Any ideas or help? It seems to me it's a fan issue or a hard disk failure issue.

micahr18, Jan 10, 2009
  7. CommunistMessiah

Daevo

I posted about this issue on an Australian tech forum & somebody who works in a retail outlet mentioned he's had 3 customer returns with the same issue. He contacted Acer support who authorized all 3 units to be replaced & seemed to indicate that the problem was known to them.

My ONE continues to work perfectly now it's righted itself & I've been giving it a bit of a flogging to make sure it's OK.

Daevo, Jan 11, 2009
  8. CommunistMessiah

swankmunk

Ok, well mine is back and working. I dropped it at a repairs guy on Sunday and showed the guy at the counter the issue. He wrote it down and would get back to me. Unfortunately I'm travelling around and city hopping so I was calling back often. It turns out the technician couldn't replicate the problem and the computer ran smooth from approx. Monday lunch time until Tuesday when i picked it up..... The error started on Thursday, maybe its a 3 - 4 day glitch?

There is hope if you stumble into this problem! Heres hoping mine continues to work during my trip.

swankmunk, Jan 14, 2009
Ask a Question