My AA1 has stopped loading, time for a rebuild but which OS

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by me075064, May 2, 2009.

1. me075064

me075064

Hi all.

This morning my AA1 ( Linux - SSD version) stopping loading this morning, it gets to the desktop screen and then just black screens and powers down.

So I've decided to rebuild my AA1, but I'm currious as to which OS to install. Either the default Linpus, Ubuntu or Windows XP.

I've managed to get Linpus to do just about everything I need so wouldn't having any problems putting that back on, but sometimes you have to work arounds to get the software you want working.

I've heard a lot of positive feedback on Ubuntu and it isn't locked down, so could be a good choice of a more open OS.

If I install Windows XP then I'll have full access to Sling player and Itunes but I've heard that it might not perform very well.

So I would be really interested in other users experiences of these OS's and which they would suggest I should install.

Cheers
    John M

me075064, May 2, 2009
  2. me075064

me075064

How strange - Linpus has just started working again. oh well. I may look at other os's anyway.

me075064, May 2, 2009
  3. me075064

andyace

I have got the Ubuntu netbook edition running and it works well, straight away off the install. The only thing that is not working is the wireless LED but that is not going to ruin my life.
    I am quite impressed and won't be going back to Linpus sh**e. :D

andyace, May 7, 2009
  4. me075064

ncc123

Wifi light works fine if you install the "Backports" package, forgotten exactly which, but google is your friend.

ncc123, May 7, 2009
  5. me075064

davidearlcox

My AA1 came out of the box with WinXP and 1.5 GB of memory, although it is advertized as having 1 GB. And it has the 160 GB hard drive.

I just re-read the thread and see that your computer is now operating again, but if you ever do decide to install WinXP I can say that on my machine runs both iTunes and SlingBox perfectly. In fact, having just installed the SlingBox Classic software so as to connect to my SlingBox wirelessly, the AAI seems to deliver the smoothest video. This thang has absolutely amazed me.

I cannot say if these two applications would perform as well with 1 GB of system memory since my AA1, for whatever reason, has more that the advertized amount of system memory. I guess the factory must have run out of 512 MB modules when this one came down the line...

davidearlcox, May 7, 2009
  6. me075064

pling

I just tried Ubuntu Remix and I'm very unimpressed. Everything worked fine until it asked to update, then the GUI was screwed - apps lost their menu bar, the launcher disappeared. Nasty. I update my BIOS but it didn't do any good.

It also felt slow compared to Linpus and there doesn't seem to be an equivalent of ALT F11 (which puts apps into true fullscreen on Linpus)

pling, May 8, 2009
  7. me075064

andy2141

A little off topic, but you're not the only one getting a surprise on the memory front.

I just order a Blue AspireOne with 160GB hard disk through an upgrade on my mobile broadband connection (three) and mine also was shipped with 1.5GB rather than the stated 1GB. It doesn't appear to be opened/returned so all I can assume is that someone is now sticking 1GB sticks in the expansion slot rather than 512MB.

Eitherway.. I'm not complaining!

andy2141, May 10, 2009
Ask a Question