My A and H keys don't work correctly (Ahahaha)

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by wijwoj, Mar 30, 2009.

1. wijwoj

wijwoj

Do you see what I did there?

Hi all,

I'm new here and have a couple of questions to anyone who might be able to help.

I bought a new acer aspire one in Fiji a while ago whilst away from home (in the uk) for some time. After a few weeks some of the keys were proving unresponsive. They will eventually work if presses repeatedly and hard, but its incredibly infuriating when you're trying to write something.

I carried on travelling and put up with it being annoying, but am now back in the uk and would like to get it sorted. Even though its still under warranty, the warranty is for the australia and NZ area so I don't think I'm likely to get it fixed without sending it somewhere expensive. The uk support website doesn't like my serial number anyway, and I got stuck in queue for hours on the pricy 0870 number before giving up.

Has anybody else had random keys not working. I'm just wondering if anyone might know if its worth me replacing the keyboard, or if it could be a symptom of any other problems. It does seem to get worse when the machine is really hot (which means it gets worse the longer you type).

Any help appreciated.
    Cheers,

Wij.

wijwoj, Mar 30, 2009
  2. wijwoj

dattaway

1. hold upside down
    2. tap quickly with a finger on the key until object is free
    3. key should work

dattaway, Mar 30, 2009
  3. wijwoj

wijwoj

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a go, but it didn't make any difference.

I probably didn't explain myself very well in the rambling original note. I have taken the keyboard out of the case and had a look at it and the keys that are unresponsive in particular. I've taken the 'a' key itself off the keyboard and had a look behind, but there's not even much dust or anything behind it. I didn't think it would be a good idea to try and get the rubber pusher thing off as I wasn't sure I would be able to get it back on.

I probably slightly exaggerated in my last post. Its not that some of the keys don't work at all, they just aren't as responsive as the rest, and it is very frustrating. To be honest I think I'm just going to have to try a new keyboard and see if that works.

Can any one suggest a retailer in the UK, that isn't too pricey for replacement keyboards. I had a quick look and found a few in the states but with postage its about £35ish. The only one I could spot in the Uk was this one.

http://www.acerspareparts.co.uk/acer-uk-keyboard-black-windows-o-s-c-507-p-1-pr-89.html

Which is £40ish with postage.

Cheers to anyone that can help.
    Wij.

wijwoj, Apr 1, 2009
Ask a Question