My 120GB 1GB xp One arrives on Thursday, ask me about it

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by midgetdiablo, Jul 28, 2008.

1. midgetdiablo

midgetdiablo

Hey all, I'm in Taiwan now and I'll be getting the new Acer one with Windows XP, 120GB of HDD, 1G of RAM, and a 6-cell battery this Thursday!Haha. I have bragging rights for now. :twisted:

midgetdiablo, Jul 28, 2008
  2. midgetdiablo

Verbl Kint

Re: I'm from Taiwan

How much does it cost?

Verbl Kint, Jul 28, 2008
  3. midgetdiablo

Davidcowling

6 cell battery?!

Davidcowling, Jul 28, 2008
  4. midgetdiablo

Raido

@Moderator:

Please remove this thread from this subforum. It's off-topic, and offers nothing in relation to information for beginners.

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 28, 2008
  5. midgetdiablo

midgetdiablo

uhhh... how is this off-topic? I'm a new user and I want to answer questions people might have about the new aspire one. it's not like I'm posting about an eee pc... whatever.

it's 16800nt.. I dunno how much it is for you.

midgetdiablo, Jul 28, 2008
  6. midgetdiablo

rory

Moved on request to off topic.
    i do concur that it is indeed off topic, although it is obviously more on topic than say talking about TV's.
    However, it doesn't give anything to beginners, or ask anything.
    Would probably be better in a general kind of forum, but general is for questions which fit in none of the other fora, so I've moved to off-topic. I shall ask KiNG his opinion on it though.
    Edit:
    Having read the general forum, I think its better placed there, there's a fair few people talking about their One's there...
    I'm changing the title too, to "My 120GB 1GB XP One arrives on Thursday, Ask me about it"
    Rory

rory, Jul 28, 2008
  7. midgetdiablo

Davidcowling

off topic???

its general discussion of the AA1

Davidcowling, Jul 29, 2008
  8. midgetdiablo

KiNG

its fine here, rory changed it back to here, read his post.

KiNG, Jul 29, 2008
  9. midgetdiablo

Davidcowling

roflmaoalbopco

Davidcowling, Jul 30, 2008
  10. midgetdiablo

bwaters

I'm looking forward to hearing about your 120GB 1GB XP machine as soon as you get it. Please let us know some benchmarks, battery life, built quality and overall feel. I'd also be curious on the price. I'm really looking forward to getting one in the US...It's all I can do not to get the 8GB SSD model right now, but I think the 120GB model is going to be the version I'm happier with. I have no idea when the 120GB model will be available in the US...soon I hope.

Thanks

bwaters, Jul 31, 2008
  11. midgetdiablo

rjm

Hey, it's Friday already.

We're waiting...

rjm, Aug 1, 2008
  12. midgetdiablo

ck90211

I too got an A1 xp 120GB machine yesterday, 7/31 in Taiwan, about NT 15000, US$500 (tradeshow discount).

Amazing battery life right out of box (80% charge and ran like 5 hours while I installed a few apps and tried hooking up to WiFi at home, cafes and stores). And stayed cool all this time. Even the air out of the vent feels much cooler than usual. Don't have a software measuring temp but my hands/laps give it a A+. 6 cell definitely adds more weight, and making it a little bit off balanced while holding in 1 hand. The eee and WIND 10" feels a little bit better balanced (they are thinner and wider), but keyboard is definitely no worse than eee 1000H, and better than MSI WIND (subjective).

Not a whole lot of junkware on it (thank you ACER), but MS still got their trial Office 2007 on it. What's kind of weird is, the IE starting homepage is not even ACER or MSN, but Yahoo? Some of the shareware on it (like MSN Messenger) are of the real old vintage (as old a when xP was first released). Anyhow, this may be all different depending on where you are.

No xP recovery disk, but guess it's built into the system RAM or something? Or maybe I need to burn a recovery disk? WIll know more once I hook up an external DVD burner. Hooked up a few peripherals, and xP took them without any hitches.

Performance wise it runs xP and apps about same speed as a Pentium 4 3.0MHz, minor lags running IE and downloading things, probably because I am used to PC's with fast HD, big RAM and running Vista. But if I am in a plane or waiting at a cafe, this speed is totally acceptable. Sorry I haven't bombard it with serious apps (Adobe, AutoCAD, etc.) but don't think I ever will (screen too small for serious graphic work). Play videos and music OK and not noticeable lag, but speakers are kind of weak.

Not sure why but I had hard time hooking up to my WiFi router at home. I ended up making my router OPEN, then resecure it again. Did not have this problem at stores or cafes.

I was told by the ACER reps that they won't have enough A1's for all the pre-orders especially on certain colors (wanted white but got blue instead). So unless you are one of the first preorders you probably will have to wait even longer. I got mine so quick because ACER kept a small stocks just to hype up at Taipei Computer Show, but probably won't have enough to last until this weekend.

ck90211, Aug 1, 2008
  13. midgetdiablo

niem102

How much exactly does it weigh with the 6 cell battery? Is it still under 3 pounds at least? (3 pounds is a little less that 1.5 kg if you're used to the metric system like I'm guessing you are)

niem102, Aug 1, 2008
  14. midgetdiablo

rjm

re the Xp recovery disk ... I can see myself wanting to reinstall XP soon after I get the machine, to repartition the disk or try out Linux or whatever. Please post an update when you learn what the situation is.

Re: preorders and shortages, we'll see. The preorder campaign here in Japan has been quite high profile, most onine retailers show it prominently. Netbooks generally are popular. On the price comparison site Kakaku.com the Aspire One ranks about 15th of all notebooks (not just netbooks) in sales (not bad considering its still 2-3 weeks from shipping) and about 5th or 6th in terms of interest (clicks). The Eee PCs still dominate these charts however: the 901 is no 2 in sales and no 1 in interest. The Aspire also trails both the hp 2133 (linux) and the Wind in both sales and interest.

Notebook ranking, by sales:

http://kakaku.com/pc/note-pc/ranking_0020/

and by interest,

http://kakaku.com/pc/note-pc/ranking_0020/hot

rjm, Aug 1, 2008
  15. midgetdiablo

Davidcowling

sounds good.

upgrading the ram to 1.5gb should iron out all the little bits of lag with IE.

Davidcowling, Aug 1, 2008
  16. midgetdiablo

midgetdiablo

Okay, so i just got my Aspire One AO150-Bb(Blue). Apparently the black, pink, and brown colors are delayed for a really long time and i don't think i can wait to get this baby running. Anyway, Windows XP runs very swiftly on this machine with 120HFF and 1G or RAM. If you have any questions about it send me a message. The 6-cell battery looks pretty small and it acts as a nice slant for typing and a nice stand when you pull your monitor all the way back. So far, it seems pretty flawless. However, the bag that they provided is the same size as the previous one so your notebook won't fit inside the sleeve with the 6-cell battery. I asked them about this, and they told me Acer is aware of the problem and will be shipping out bigger sleeves for free later on. Also for those who think the 6-cell battery on the blue is ugly will be happy to know that the white One will have a white 6-cell battery.

midgetdiablo, Aug 1, 2008
  17. midgetdiablo

Spybreak

Is the laptop itself bigger than the SSD version? Or is it just the 6-cell battery that adds the extra weight and size?

Spybreak, Aug 1, 2008
  18. midgetdiablo

midgetdiablo

Sorry, but I can't make a comparison because I don't have the SSD version. However, at the computer show, they look the same size. If there is a difference, the HDD version is only a few milimeters bigger.

midgetdiablo, Aug 1, 2008
  19. midgetdiablo

ck90211

It's definitely over 3 lbs (hand test), but still feels pretty very manageable. The battery is also larger (wider) than eee's (1000H). I went back to Taiwan Computer Fair today, and all the A1 xP's are gone. So supplies lasted less than 2 days. Perhaps they may replenish before end of show (Monday). I think they will have same problem everywhere. By the way, Acer plans to ship 5-6 million A1's this year (as stated in this website's Recent Post)??? That is pretty impossible, considering eee is about to hit the 1 million shipped mark after one full year (with all the models), and took Nintendo like a whole year with 2 Christmases to hit this number. So either Acer CEO is smoking something or someone needs to verify the info.

A side note, I left the A1 idle, trying to drain the battery, and this thing is very power miser, only chewing up 8% after maybe a couple hours of idling (screen turned off, etc.). Got an external DVD drive today so will try to see how long the battery will last running a DVD (externally powered).

ck90211, Aug 1, 2008
  20. midgetdiablo

Jarkko

Are there any indications that the new colours (in my case pink) will indeed be delayed? For example, did you discuss this with an Acer representative or is it just your own conclusion? Before this I was under impression that they will be released 15.8. globally. I'm going to get one for my wife and two or three weeks from now is tolerable but "really long time" (eg. until xmas or next year) absolutely not - in that case I would choose either MSI or Asus instead.

Jarkko, Aug 1, 2008
Ask a Question