MSN for Linpus

Discussion in 'Networking' started by keroro1979, Sep 17, 2008.

1. keroro1979

keroro1979

Is there a version of MSN for Linpus? Im using AcerIM at the moment which is fine, but the webcam function doesnt work.

Any help would be appreciated.

keroro1979, Sep 17, 2008
  2. keroro1979

nunomeneses

My webcam works fine in acerIM messenger.

nunomeneses, Sep 17, 2008
  3. keroro1979

keroro1979

bizarre, tried it again today - works. lol

keroro1979, Sep 19, 2008
  4. keroro1979

sdousley

Glad you got it sorted, however I had the same issue, and I know exactly what I did to fix it, so here I go with a solution (that worked for me at least).

When setting up the account initially, I enabled the check box that states "Use a Windows Messenger compatible service" (default was to be unchecked)

This seemed logical to me to enable if I wanted web-cam and other MSN features to work. Now, when I went to edit my account and disable this, the web-cam then worked no problems :)

Just thought I'd post this as this is the only thread that I could find with similar problems to myself, so in the vain hope that people search before asking, they may well come across this...

sdousley, Oct 2, 2008
  5. keroro1979

keroro1979

Actually, that rings a bell - Iwas fiddling around with the settings before I re-logged in, so maybe thats what did it.

Well found lol

keroro1979, Oct 6, 2008
  6. keroro1979

sdousley

Not a problem, not sure what exactly made me think "I changed that setting from it's default, lets see if that's what caused it" But i'm soooo glad i did think that lol

sdousley, Oct 6, 2008
  7. keroro1979

Grim Squeaker

And in case anyone was wondering why enabling this option had that effect:

"Windows messenger" is the .. how shall I put it.. crippled version of live messenger that microsoft included with all versions of XP. While you can still use that to connect to msn (in contrast to older versions of msn/live messenger which nowadays give a connection refused message when you use them) it lacks quite a few features.

Grim Squeaker, Oct 8, 2008
Ask a Question