Ms-1672 (vr630) CPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Bobas, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Bobas

Bobas

Hello all!
    As title says, i want to upgrade my CPU. The laptop is very old, and CPU (Sempron sl-42) is near it's death. The question is: which processors are compatible with my motherboard, and wouldn't be too much for it's power supply? I'm thinking about some from Turion series?
    Thanks in advance!

Bobas, Dec 25, 2016
  2. Bobas

Brian8gbSSDLinux

The good news is... I saw your post and you finally get an answer.

The bad news... Your Laptop uses a Motherboard manufactured for AMD Hardware and has a 'Sage' CPU Socket
    there are only TWO AMD CPU's that fit in a Sage socket, and the other CPU is slower than the one you have...

You have two options...

If the Laptop is working well enough... continue using it...
    or
    You might be able to sell your Laptop to one of the 'Scientific/ Electronic/ Phone shops but don't expect too much for it... unless it looks in very good condition.
    Then, with some extra cash from your piggy bank...
    You could buy a Re-furbished 'Student' Laptop (Google Cheap student Laptops or Refurbished Laptops) there are several companies around

I am typing this on a refurbished 14" Acer ES1-133 which cost me £145 refurbished; It looks like new, even though it is a 2014 Laptop and around 1/4 what it would have cost then.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jan 5, 2017
  3. Bobas

Bobas

Thanks for your answer. Are you sure there are only 2 cpu's that would fit? Cpu-z is showing my processor as a s1g2 socket. Idk what's 'sage' socket. Anyways, i saw that the MSI produces the same model of this laptop (vr630) with 4 different processors on it and one of them was AMD Turion Ultra zm-82, which i intended to buy. Just today i found a guy from which i could buy it , but now when you said it prolly wouldn't fit idk what to do.

Bobas, Jan 9, 2017
  4. Bobas

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Dear Bobas...

Having had a few more years in this world than your self - and knowing well the purpose of Google search - I did the research that you did not do - this makes me feel confident that my answer is correct.

The information came from this page...

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/Mobile_Sempron/SI-42.html

Click the link (or copy and paste it into a new tab in your browser).

Towards the bottom of that page - it shows possible replacements...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jan 11, 2017
  5. Bobas

Bobas

I did not, you say... Let me just say, I've spent many hours researching through the google, and found many answers. Yet, not a single one answered my question fully, just as your didn't, since i bought AMD Turion x2 Ultra ZM-82 for 7 euros, and replaced my old Sempron with it, and now it works like a champ. There are no words to describe the difference between now and then. But, ofc, nothing can be perfect, so now i encountered another problem, which, to be honest, i expected, and it is overheating. Temps are around 65-75 of CPU and GPU when browsing, watching movie, youtube, but playing WoW (which now runs sooo smooth) even 20 minutes, makes it go up to 85 or even more. So i guess, no games at all, if i want to keep this CPU, or maybe to buy a cooler pad.

Bobas, Jan 14, 2017
Ask a Question