MP4 and VLC

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by lscc61114, Oct 31, 2008.

1. lscc61114

lscc61114

Hi please can ayone help,
    I installed vlc, but the .mp4's I created for my PSP (using PSPvideo9) wont play, are there certain formats of video within mp4?

Many Thanks
    Davee

lscc61114, Oct 31, 2008
  2. lscc61114

Blingin2Mingin

Did you install Vlc with the script from Acers support site? or did you install Vlc using Yum and the Livna repositries?
    I've heard the one on the Acer site is crippled with some important codecs missing.

Blingin2Mingin, Nov 1, 2008
  3. lscc61114

lscc61114

Hi Blingin, thanks for you help again!

I tried using yum, following the script, and it seemed to go ok, but after the insttall, it just left me back at the prompt (it did noot ask me any questions during the process) after that I could not see Vlc anywhere to run.

So then I used the acer shellscript which went fine and I have the cone icon, my aao knows its an mp4, plus the mp4's I have run fine on laptop, psp and sony mp3.

Thanks if you can help, maybe I'll try through yum agian??

Dave

lscc61114, Nov 1, 2008
  4. lscc61114

Blingin2Mingin

Found this as a comment on Macles blog by a guy called Simon.

The only comment about the instructions I would make is that vi is not very user friendly, I would use
    Code:
    mousepad install.sh
    instead, then remove the line 3 from the bottom that Simon mentions and then save the file and exit mousepad.
    Then back in the terminal window
    Code:
    ./install.sh

5. lscc61114

lscc61114

Hi Blingin, thanks for your advice, before I saw this,
    I removed previous Vlc,

Then used: (which appears elsewhere)

su -
    rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
    yum install vlc

and now it works great!!

I just need to search to find out how to get VLC on my desktop,
    and learn a bit about VLC like how to smoothly get back from full screen mode and how to use the controls in full screen f thats possible.

Thanks for supporting me blingin, this community is essential for noobs like me

lscc61114, Nov 1, 2008
  6. lscc61114

Blingin2Mingin

You can check out this thread.

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4350

In particular check out the post with the details of the 'Fun' section of my own group-app.xml file.

Or:

Open a terminal : (Alt + F2 opens the Run Application Dialogue. In the window type 'terminal' and click Run.)

In terminal type :
    Code:
    mousepad /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml

You can work out the syntax for this file by looking at the entries already in it.
    But you need to find the section within the file for the FUN applications ie the section with media master (pcmmvp) in it.
    Add the following line replacing the # with the number you would like the icon to appear in the section (0 is the first position)
    Make sure that there are no duplicate numbers within that section of the file. (because 2 Icons will overlap).

Code:
    <app sequence="#">/usr/share/applications/livna-vlc.desktop</app>
    (The file livna-vlc.desktop is the launcher for vlc if installed from the Livna repositries.)

save the file and close mousepad. Restart your AA1 and the vlc icon should be within the FUN section of your desktop menu.

Just as a caution, before editing the file it would be wise to make a copy of it as group-app.xml.bak just in case you screw it up.

If you get a file not found error when launching vlc from the desktop.

fire up the file manager (Thunar) with root privileges. From a terminal type:
    Code:
    sudo thunar
    Navigate to /usr/share/applications then find the livna-vlc.desktop file (it will appear as Vlc)

Right click on it select properties and remove the %U from the launch command box so it just reads vlc.

Full screen mode toggle key for Vlc (and most Linux video players) is the F key on your keyboard

7. lscc61114

nugroho2

I installed VLC twice, and I broke my AA1 twice because of that.
    At first it ran well, playing videos and 3GP etc. Then it caused corruption of memory. ... Never touch VLC again, but install Real Player instead. I will wait until a stable version is out.

nugroho2, Nov 4, 2008
  8. lscc61114

optimistique1

Can anybody tell me where I can download VLC from and how to install as I want to be able to play .av1 files.
    Many thanks
    Garry

optimistique1, Nov 6, 2008
Ask a Question