Moving pagefile to SD will NOT work!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ericssonfan2000, Nov 16, 2008.

1. ericssonfan2000

ericssonfan2000

Hi All,

Just in case anybody is interested, I tried to get through the process of moving the pagefile to an SDHC card with Hitachi Microdrive filter installed with the 8GB SSD model.

Everything went fine, I managed to make the XP see the SDHC card as a hard drive, but when I put the pagefile on the card it created the file succesfully, but left (and still used) an even bigger file in the SSD root.

So, it is not worth trying, but if anybody still wants to (or just wants to make the SDHC appear as a hard drive)

- Download Hitachi Microdrive filter (google it) und unzip it into a folder.
    - To obtain the address of the left SD-slot right click on My Computer, Hardware/Device Driver/Disk Drives, right click on JMCRblabla then Details and copy the first line.
    - Edit the file 'cfadisk.inf' and make the corresponding part look like this (or modify it with the address you just obtained):

[cfadisk_device]
    %Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,IDE\SCSI\DISK&VEN_JMCR&PROD_SD/MMC&REV_\5&1BA3B91F&0&000

; debug on VMWare...blablabla

Save and then right click on My Computer again, Hardware/Device Driver/Disk Drives, right click on JMCRblabla and Update drivers, then navigate manually to the cfadisk.inf driver and click OK to everything even if Windows tells you it might not work... Then it says you need to reboot but actually it's not necessary...

Thats it.

ericssonfan2000, Nov 16, 2008
  2. ericssonfan2000

Richard_S

I've just decided to try the same thing as you.

I did note that even with the standard drivers I can put the pagefile on to the SDHC card I have but it shows the pagefile on the C drive still but reports it as being on drive E...

Also, looking at what you put, I don't think it's correct. I added:

%Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,SCSI\Disk&Ven_JMCR&Prod_SD/MMC&Rev_

And then updated the driver by hand using the "I have disk" option. I installed, it complained it might not work, rebooted and now I see a pagefile on drive E, aka my SDHC card.

Obviously this is all done at your own risk... :)

Richard_S, Nov 16, 2008
Ask a Question