Mouse, Trackball, or Touchpad

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by c3300, Mar 22, 2016.

1. c3300

c3300

A simple thread, but which control device do you prefer for a laptop? Do you usually use the onboard controller or plug in an external device?

I've seen machines with everything from a nub mouse in the keyboard, or front touchpad, to an inbuilt trackball in a little depression at the front, or one from Hong Kong with a mini bluetooth mouse in it's own housing at the side (quaintly called the mouse-hole). I find I get on well with the little touchpads, but the other alternatives have me plugging in a exterior mouse. The ones in the middle of the keyboard are just a nuisance if I'm typing because it is so easy to nudge them.

So what input device do you prefer, or do you go for an external add-on?

c3300, Mar 22, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. c3300

CasualGoofy

I prefer using a usb mouse than touchpad. Even so, I do run out of usb ports. My other usb accessories have higher priority over the usb mouse. I know Hong Kong electronic mini shops do have quite a variety of computer accessories, but I didn't know about mouse-hole. Is there a link you could share?

Depending on what laptop model, some touchpads are located in a better spot. I haven't accidentally touched the touchpad while I'm typing this post. Mine is a little more left-center. So I should've been touching it with my left hand. But that hasn't happened yet.

CasualGoofy, Mar 22, 2016
  3. c3300

roger1003

I prefer a USB mouse. That's the normal way of using a computer. I think the built-in device in laptops is just for portability. For comfort, though, a USB mouse is still the best for me.

roger1003, Mar 22, 2016
  4. c3300

SirJoe

I prefer the traditional mouse. I haven't tried a trackball yet but it doesn't seem as if I'm missing out. The touchbad can be handy only when I don't have a mouse.

SirJoe, Mar 22, 2016
  5. c3300

UpgradeMe

I absolutely prefer a traditional wireless mouse. For performance, I would always prefer wired, but I only use my laptop for work. Having wireless mouse provides a ton of flexibility and allows me to stay mobile without having another wire involved in the process. I also prefer wireless headphones for the same reason.

UpgradeMe, Mar 22, 2016
  6. c3300

IcyBC

It took me some getting used to going from a traditional mouse on my desktop to using the touchpad that was built in on my laptop. Once I was used to the touchpad on my laptop, which I prefer it to in the center, I love it. I didn't want anything extra and want to keep my laptop, well, on my laps :) since I have to stretch out my legs to avoid numbness.

IcyBC, Mar 24, 2016
  7. c3300

Krissttina Isobe

For me it's a mouse that's silent. I love to have the little mouse on the side for gliding up and down the page and to right click or left click as needed.

Krissttina Isobe, Mar 25, 2016
  8. c3300

fcuco

A traditional mouse, USB or Bluetooth all the way before using a track pad. A track pad is only useful if you are using OSX and you are very used to all the mission control gestures, this is the only circumstance that I can think off where a track pad actually adds something of value and it is something more than a poor substitution to a mouse. You can also do the gestures using the Magic Mouse but that mouse is just terrible, I think that all the hate it gets is very well deserved.

fcuco, Mar 25, 2016
  9. c3300

vinaya

I have never used a trackball. I have experience with touchpad and mouse only. Between touchpad and mouse, I will always touch touch pad. It is easy to use.

vinaya, Apr 3, 2016
  10. c3300

Corzhens

I have a corded mouse in my laptop bag. It is part and parcel of my laptop because I had never felt comfortable with the trackball or touchpad, whatever it is. That's also the reason why I am not at home with the tablet because of the virtual keyboard that is annoying to me. With a corded mouse, I can work conveniently on my laptop as if I'm using a desktop. By the way, I used to be a desktop user until the office gave me an official laptop some 2 years ago.

Corzhens, Apr 4, 2016
Ask a Question