Monitors on top of laptop

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by smokeys18, May 1, 2016.

1. smokeys18

smokeys18

I'm new here for starters.

I recently bought a laptop from Office Max. It's an HP, and I also bought a Samsung monitor, 24". In the past, I've always had my monitor on top of my laptop. However, I'm wondering if that's a good idea.

I know that a laptop is heavier than a monitor, but, will it in time damage the laptop?

Thanks so much!

Wendy

smokeys18, May 1, 2016
  2. smokeys18

IBMPC8088

You always run the risk of cracking the screen if the weight of the monitor is too much for the laptop's built-in monitor to support physically as a stand for it. I wouldn't set it on top of your laptop like that if I were you. The backlight on some models is really sensitive, and you can end up either with dead pixels, lines through the screen, or a busted screen that needs replaced. I was getting out of a friend's car a few years ago and didn't see that they put my ultrabookish laptop on the top of the seat that was accidentally hidden by a light cushion. My knee went directly on it, not even with that much pressure, but you can guess what happened next: external monitor-only. The built-in monitor was totally destroyed by that event, and I had to use an external monitor until a replacement screen could be ordered and put on there to where it could be a laptop again. The monitor might be light enough to where it wouldn't do that depending on the reinforcement and build of the laptop, but I'd honestly try to avoid that at all if you can.

IBMPC8088, May 1, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. smokeys18

IcyBC

I am ignorant with this type of thing because I don't understand why would you do something like that? If I can manage to work out this to an understandable stage, may I ask: are you connecting the monitor screen to your laptop and you can see better or something?

IcyBC, May 2, 2016
  4. smokeys18

fcuco

This is a terrible idea. Did you ever handled one of those old horizontal computer cases that were designed to have the monitor placed on top? Those were very heavy because they were reinforced to support all that extra weight. Granted, old CRT monitors were heavier than anything that we have now but if a case has to be specially built to deal with a monitor on top this tells you that placing a monitor on top of a laptop that was never designed for this is a very bad idea. Plus the laptop ceases to be portable if you have to move the monitor out of the way every time that you want to move it around.

fcuco, May 2, 2016
  5. smokeys18

smokeys18

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. It's just that my desk is so small and I need more space. My last laptop had a monitor on top. It was a 15.6 inch or whatever their called. Anyway, I now have a new laptop and a 24 inch screen.

Thanks again

Wendy

smokeys18, May 6, 2016
Ask a Question