modifications to the XFCE menu concerning VLC

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Winfried, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Winfried

Winfried

I installed VLC and can happily listen to mp3 files from the SSD. However, when I launch VLC and want to play mp3 files from my extension SD card, it hangs. Eventually I found out that VLC has no access to these files unless I sign up as root!!!??? or launch VLC via the terminal and execute "sudo VLC".

I managed to introduce launchers for my favorite programs like firefox , mnemosyne and thunderbird into the xfce menu .
    however I could not reach the launchers, embedded in the "system", which shows up in the menulist , when you call through "menu settings" the "menu editor". This "system" seems to include all the launchers for the different categories of programs, recognised by the system; one is multimedia/mediaplayer/ VLC.
    I assume that in the VLC launcher embedded in the "system" part of the XFCE menu I have to modify the command line to "sudo vlc". However, I did not find any way how to do it.
    Or are there other ways to make the files on the SD card accessible to VLC? In the file manager I checked the permissions: the files are owned by "user".

Winfried

Winfried, Feb 1, 2009
Ask a Question