model with 80 gb hard drive

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by TAYLORONE, Feb 24, 2009.

1. TAYLORONE

TAYLORONE

So I'm going to keep the Aspire One with the 80 gb hard drive, sold at Walmart with Canadian keyboard (not a problem for me). But I need to ask: why does Walmart have one with 80 gb? I have searched the internet and can not find one for sale: just the 8 or the 160. Should I be worried? I even called Walmart and asked but got a bulls---- answer.

TAYLORONE, Feb 24, 2009
  2. TAYLORONE

jeremysdad

Never heard of 80 Gb model. What's the model number? As in AOA150-xxxx? Where are you seeing the 80 figure? Is it on the box?

jeremysdad, Feb 24, 2009
  3. TAYLORONE

TAYLORONE

Yup, I checked the box! And that is how it was advertised in a flyer, too. It's AOA 150 - 1901.

TAYLORONE, Feb 24, 2009
  4. TAYLORONE

TAYLORONE

p.s. I checked space available on the hard drive: It says total capacity is 69.6 GB, used space is almost 8. That's great, but like you said, it's not a common model! Do you think they stuck in an 80 rather than a 160 so they could sell it cheaper? Shouldn't be a problem, should it? 80 is plenty enough for my purposes: travel.

TAYLORONE, Feb 24, 2009
  5. TAYLORONE

jeremysdad

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product. ... 778E95D267

Hope you didn't pay that for it!!! :eek: What I have seen, it isn't cheaper...Is that an SSD, by chance??? That might be worth the price, but IDK why they would offer that...maybe that's the direction the 8.9s are going, smaller HDDs and lower price...

They have the 6 cell (160Gb) on Wal-Mart.com for $324.99 right now, the 3 cells (120 Gb) are $289.99...prices in USD...

What did you pay for this creation, if you don't mind my asking...

jeremysdad, Feb 25, 2009
  6. TAYLORONE

TAYLORONE

don't mind at all. And no, it's not SDD.
    I paid $320 here in Canada. The 8gb SSD was going for 299 here, and the 160 hard drive for 399. I didn't want to spend much money as I have uh, a total of three other computers, this really was to be just for travel, and hubby's email. So If the 80 gb doesn't blow up for something, it is fine for our uses. On the other hand, maybe I should return it to and wait for prices to come down further...... But as hard drives get bigger, do they not get heavier? We could not see any difference in weight between the 8 SDD and the 80 gb versions.

TAYLORONE, Feb 25, 2009
  7. TAYLORONE

jeremysdad

There's probably a negligible weight increase, probably in some measurement that borders on milligrams (if not nanograms). Small drives are less complex (fewer heads, etc). If it serves your purpose, then by all means, hold on to it.

Can you post the drives model number (from the BIOS, or Device Manager)? I am curious as to what drive it actually is (speed, etc)...

jeremysdad, Feb 25, 2009
  8. TAYLORONE

TAYLORONE

Sure,
    It says: Hitachi HTS542580K9SA00
    Thoughts?

TAYLORONE, Feb 25, 2009
  9. TAYLORONE

jeremysdad

Seems to be a decent drive. If it serves your purpose size-wise, again, I'd not hesitate to keep it. Just a little small for my purposes...not enough room to comfortably squeeze extra OSs on there...

For those who understand HDD datasheets: http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib. ... 250_DS.pdf

jeremysdad, Feb 25, 2009
  10. TAYLORONE

TAYLORONE

Thanks. Yes, the size is OK for us. We are going to Europe in May and all our rooms have WiFI, can't wait to try it there.

TAYLORONE, Feb 26, 2009
Ask a Question