missing dialogue box buttons

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ianb, Sep 10, 2008.

1. ianb

ianb

When I open dialogue/settings boxes the close and cancel buttons are off screen at the bottom.

I cannot seem to resize the boxes from the top down (I can widen them) or move them up past the top of the screen so how do I get to see the buttons and other icons, etc? I am using the Xcfe desktop menu, etc to select stuff. ;)

Is it a resolution setting, only when I select display settings it just gives 1024 x whatever and no other settings can be made. Also how do I change the screensaver as there appears to be no dialogue for this in Settings.

Cheers,

Ian

ianb, Sep 10, 2008
  2. ianb

ruckus

there is a command you can run at the command line that will allow you to move dialogs up passed the top of the screen. I will try to look it up in a bit because I can't remember what it is.

Most dialogs default to "OK" when Enter is pressed, so if I can see the content I need to change I just change it and hit Enter and that has worked for me so far.

ruckus, Sep 13, 2008
  3. ianb

ruckus

found it. Keep in mind, however, this looks like a compiz tweak, and it has been taken from an Ubuntu community wiki, so I am not sure if it will work for you.n That said, I am running Xubuntu with XFCE and it worked for me so I think it will work for you!

Code:
    To move a hidden part of the window into view, click and drag with the left mouse button on any part of the window while holding down the ALT key. However, you won't be able to drag windows so the top of the window is above the top of the screen. To fix that, enter the following in a terminal window:

gconftool-2 --set /apps/compiz/plugins/move/allscreens/options/constrain_y --type bool 0

ruckus, Sep 13, 2008
Ask a Question